Craving for a break from the rat race? Are your mind and soul yearning for a quiet and blissful vacation, even for just a weekend? Our favourite next-door neighbour, Malaysia, may just have the perfect place for you. From treehouses, boutique hotels to traditional guesthouses and glamping, it is not hard to find a unique place to stay for a few days of unwinding.
The country has a lot to offer its visitors, from its modern cities and towns to its lush, tropical forests. Whether you are looking for a quiet staycation or a change of pace, Malaysia has it. Here is our list of perfect places to chill out on your mini-break.
1. Experience village life at Bamboo Village, Hulu Langat, Selangor
Imagine finding a resort minutes away from the bustling city of Kuala Lumpur. Bamboo Village is located in Hulu Langat, Selangor, the state which surrounds Kuala Lumpur. It features resort-style living, in bamboo houses that can accommodate from 4 persons up to as many as 12 persons. It is surrounded by lush forests and is the perfect place for a quiet weekend. Most people come here to commune with nature and reconnect with each other. There are communal gathering places. Cottages are equipped with beddings and fans and have their own showers (cold only) Guests can prepare their own meals at the shared kitchen.
- Location: Off Jalan Pelangi 5, Taman Desa Pelangi, Batu11, Jalan Hulu Langat 43100 Hulu Langat, Selangor
- Price Range: SGD 41 per night at Agoda with up to 6.00% Cashback
- Website: http://bamboo-village.blogspot.my
2. Live among the trees at Terra’s Tree House, Cameron Highlands
At Terra’s Tree House, you will literally experience living up high in the trees, in the forests of Cameron Highlands. Cameron Highlands is a three-hour drive away from Kuala Lumpur and is famous for its cooler climate. The tree houses at Terra’s offer accommodations that conform to the natural environment. No air conditioning is needed and all six houses have a majestic view of the forests surrounding it. Modern toilet facilities are provided as well as beddings. Guests can cook their own food at the kitchen while organic vegetables, grains, and noodles are also available. The property also has an organic farm where they source their produce. To reach the property, one needs to take a 30-minute drive using a four-wheel drive vehicle and hike another 300 meters up the mountain.
- Location: Jalan Sungai Mansion, Brinchang, Pahang, Brinchang, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
- Price Range: SGD 53 per night per person at Agoda with up to 6.00% Cashback
- Website: http://www.terrafarm.com.my/2013/02/tree-house.html
3. Open living at Sekeping Serendah Selangor
Sekeping in Serendah definitely takes camping to a higher level. The retreat concept of this property is open living, which is evident in its open sheds that protect guests from the elements but at the same time, lets them appreciate everything around them. In Serendah, one will wake up to the chirping of the birds every morning and sleep with the crickets lullaby. The property is ideal for couples who want to reconnect with each other and for groups or families who want to foster stronger ties. Guests can cook their own meals in the kitchen. Activities around the property include hiking, fishing, visiting nearby farms. The property is an hour’s drive away from Kuala Lumpur.
- Location: Chalet, Jalan Ipoh, Kg Orang Asli, Serendah, Malaysia
- Price Range: SGD 121 per night
- Website: https://sekeping.com
4. Artsy stay at the Happy 8, Ipoh
For a unique boutique hotel experience, try the Happy 8 in Old Town, Ipoh City. Housed in an old building that has been restored and filled with unique art pieces and a quirky interior design, you will truly enjoy staying in. Unlike the others on this list, this property brings art and nature together. And being located in a historical section of Ipoh City, you also have easy access to various attractions that show this town’s role in Malaysian history. All rooms have airconditioning and wifi access. The hotel also has a hip cafe that serves international cuisine. Ipoh City can be reached via private car, bus or train from Kuala Lumpur within 2 to 3 hours.
- Location: 46, Jalan Market, 30000 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
- Price Range: SGD 119 per night at Booking.com with up to 6.00% Cashback
5. Go back in time at the Classic Malay House
Instead of living it up in a modern hotel, why not stay in a traditional Malay house right at the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Yes, it’s possible with this Classic Malay House that offers accommodations for 2 to 6 persons. Experience how it is to live in a wooden house as the locals did before the age of apartments and condominiums. Consider this place your oasis, a welcome retreat after a tiring day exploring the city. Or just opt to stay in and enjoy the cozy accommodations. Airconditioning and free WiFi is provided. The property is also near the Putra Jaya LRT station.
- Location: 26 Jalan Datuk Keramat, 54000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Price Range: SGD 119 per night at Booking.com with up to 6.00% Cashback
6. Cozy up at the Stable Malacca
Stay in a place full of history when you stay at The Stable Malacca. Located in the historic state of Malacca, this property was formerly a horse stable that has been converted into a chic guesthouse with modern facilities. Brick walls and exposed timber give this house a unique feel, while its artsy interior design and modern amenities give it a homey and romantic feel. You will have all the privacy in the world as the guest house only accommodates two guests at a time. Come home to the Stable after a day exploring the attractions of Malacca and the neighborhood. Or just stay in.
- Location: Jalan Hang Lekiu, 75200 Melaka, Malaysia
- Price Range: SGD 129 per night
- Website: http://thestablemalacca.com
7. Get away from it all at Awanmulan, Seremban
Families and even large groups can spend some quality time together at this resort located amidst the forests of Negeri Sembilan, Seremban. This area of Seremban is 1.5 hours away by private car or bus from Kuala Lumpur, making this a perfect weekend getaway. The property has an infinity pool as well as a river pool, a wooden deck and lots of balconies to lounge around and watch the sun rise and set. Lots of nature trips and activities can be enjoyed near the resort, which will surely rejuvenate any tired soul.
- Location: Kampung Kolam Air, Mukim Pantai, 3437, 71770 Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
- Price Range: SGD 205 per night
- Website: http://www.awanmulan.com/
8. Serene and private Fig Tree Hill Villas, Penang
Penang is an island off the northern coast of Malaysia. There are daily domestic flights from Kuala Lumpur to Penang, and there is also an overnight train. The Fig Tree Hill Resort is a secluded resort, away from Penang’s tourist-filled beach resorts and attractions. You can stay in any of its traditional villas, enjoy the large and refreshing pool or treat yourself to a spa treatment or massage right inside the resort. The resort also features many nooks and crannies where you can just lounge around. Villas can accommodate between 2 to 6 guests.
- Location: off Jalan Kenari, mkm 10, Sungai Ara, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Malaysia
- Price Range: SGD 286 per night at Booking.com with up to 6.00% Cashback
9. Family retreat at The Shorea, Seremban
Situated in the midst of the Berembun Forest Reserve in Seremban, the Shorea is a boutique eco-resort that boasts of eight villas with 15 rooms that can accomodate as many as 40 persons. Couples can enjoy staying in the naturally-ventilated villas with forest views or airconditioned villas with individual pools. The property also has two magnificent infinity pools. It is the perfect place to marvel at the wonders of nature. Some of the villas are also good for family groups who want to enjoy a quiet mountainside retreat. There are two in-house restaurants for the guests. Lots of outdoor activities can also be enjoyed with friends and family.
- Location: Kampung pantai, Mukim Pantai, Jalan Jelebu, 71770 Seremban, Malaysia
- Price Range: SGD 455 per night (for a villa of up to 6 persons) atBooking.com with up to 6.00% Cashback
10. Villa Samadhi, an oasis in Kuala Lumpur
You don’t need to go far from the city to enjoy a luxurious resort vacation. Just book your stay at Villa Samadhi in Kuala Lumpur, a hop and a skip away from the KLCC. With its fully airconditioned rooms that have their own balcony view and access to a private plunge pool, you will feel as if you are in some tropical paradise. The attractions of cosmopolitan Kuala Lumpur is still within reach. Consider Villa Samadhi your little oasis from the fast pace of city life.
- Location: No. 8, Jalan Madge, Off Persiaran Madge, Jalan U-Thant, 55000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Price Range: SGD 360 per night on Booking.com with up to 6.00% Cashback
Escape and refresh in Malaysia
Whatever your budget is, our list of places to stay in Malaysia has everything you need to plan that escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Whether you want to take time away with your significant other or spend some quality time with family, you can take your pick from our list.
What are you waiting for? Heed the call: take a break, escape, refresh and rejuvenate.
Always quarrel with your bae? Then you need to watch this video and learn this trick on how to resolve arguments without any compromise or apology (and also subscribe to Goody Feed YouTube channel):
- 10 Tips to Use Less Data for Any Smartphone ‘Coz Not Everyone Has Unlimited Data Plan
- Popeyes Chicken & Waffle Review: A Complicated Mash Of Flavours That Strangely Tastes Delicious
- S’pore Experienced Aircon Temp Last Night, More To Come: 10 Topics S’poreans Are Talking About (28 Mar)
- 100Plus Zero Sugar Review from a 100Plus Fan: It Could be Better than the Original
- Wedding Ang Bao Rates in 2018 Updated With Almost All S’pore Hotels
Latest posts by Shopback Singapore (Content Partner) (see all)
- Guide to Buying Shoes in S’pore & Where to Buy Them - September 12, 2018
- Guide to Finding The Best-est Air Ticket Deals in 2018 - September 8, 2018
- What to Expect from Apple’s Special Event: Supposedly New iPhone XS & Apple Watch Series 4 - September 7, 2018