Are you looking for a great way to keep fit while at the same time learn some mean defense skills? The Thai combat sport of Muay Thai is fast gaining popularity in the Lion City. This “art of the eight limbs” requires a certain level of physical and mental discipline in order to master it. So finding the best place to learn it is crucial. Find out what places in Singapore offer Muay Thai classes and training and sign up soon.
Muay Thai is a national sport of Thailand and is also a popular combat sport in the arena of mixed martial arts (MMA). This ancient combat sport dates back to ancient Siam when Thai fighters would win in battle over any opponent, no matter how strong they are. This sport is known for its striking system which makes use of hands, elbows, knees, and feet.
The Benefits of Muay Thai
First off, Muay Thai, like any other sport, has numerous health benefits on those who pursue it. According to Muay Thai coaches and experts, no other combat sport compares to the cardiovascular conditioning given by this Thai martial art because it combines both aerobic and anaerobic exercises, and it improves one’s cardiovascular performance as they continuously train.
Leg power is also immensely improved because of this sport, where kicks and footwork are a major part of the exercises in Muay Thai. Imagine how much power one uses in a roundhouse kick, which is a signature move of this Thai sport. With continued and diligent practice, your lower body strength will surely be a constant source of power for this sport.
Improved flexibility, especially of the hips, is something that Muay Thai enthusiasts swear by. Because of its vigorous kicking and kneeing movements, you will surely be getting more than enough hip stretches. Core strengthening is also another health benefit that one gets out of Muay Thai. And this is not just about getting a six-pack of abs but strengthening each and every muscle on your trunk.
Stress relief is also high on the list of health benefits. Nothing beats beating out a day’s stresses with Muay Thai. Not only does it do wonders for your physical health, but also for your mental well-being! Read on to find the top places in singapore where you can get Muay Thai classes.
Top Gyms For Muay Thai Training
1. Evolve MMA
Evolve MMA is considered to be one of Singapore’s best Muay Thai schools. It is backed by years of experience in MMA teaching and training, as well as the most number of MMA world champions on their roster. Students will learn from the best coaches and fighters, whether they are beginners or advanced practitioners. Evolve MMA has 4 locations in Singapore and each one offers the biggest and best training facilities for martial arts.
Muay Thai classes are usually offered at least 4 times a day, 7 days a week. There are other classes available such as Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, MMA, boxing, and kickboxing, among others. Class schedules are posted on their website. Those who want to try the sport can also book a trial class through the site.
- Evolve MMA (Far East Square), 26 China Street, Far East Square #01-01
- Evolve MMA (Orchard Central), 181 Orchard Road, #06-01 Orchard Central
- Evolve MMA (ONE KM), 11 Tanjong Katong Road, #02-52 ONE KM
- Evolve MMA (PoMo Mall), #03-11 PoMo Mall, 1 Selegie Road
- Opening Hours: M-F, 6:30am – 11:00pm; Sa-Su, 7:30am – 8:00pm
- Website: https://evolve-mma.com
2. Impact MMA
This gym boasts of having one of Singapore’s best MMA champions as a coach. Bruce Loh, who holds a ONE Championship belt for his MMA prowess. He is joined by another ONE Championship holder Juan Wen Jie in coaching newbies and experienced fighters alike. Despite having only one gym in the city, it is still considered as one of the best-equipped gyms around.
The gym offers free trial classes for Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, which one can learn more about on their website. They also offer membership packages for individuals and groups. Walk-in rates start at SGD$36 per class for members and SGD$42 per class for non-members.
- Locations: #03-06A, 3 Shenton Way, Shenton House
- Opening Hours (dependent on class schedules): M-F, 7:30am – 9:45pm; Sa-Su, 9:30am – 5:30pm
- Website: http://impactmma.com.sg
3. Trifecta Martial Arts
Unlike most of the gyms that offer martial arts classes, Trifecta Martial Arts stands out as a family-oriented martial arts school, where parents can learn with their kids, or where they can bring their kids to learn about martial arts. They offer Muay Thai classes, as well as Taekwondo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
(Since you’re here, subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more informative videos lah)
Muay Thai is offered in three levels: beginner, fundamentals, and intermediate. They also have special programs for kids which will be a good introduction to the world of martial arts.
- Bukit Timah Branch, 100 Turf Club Road, Horse City
- Central Square Branch, 20 Havelock Rd, #01-05, Central Square
- Opening Hours: Dependent on class schedules per branch; Muay Thai classes run every weekday, for one hour; check their website for branch schedules
- Website: https://www.trifecta.com.sg
4. Fight G
Fight G, or Fight Generation, prides itself as the first MMA gym to be established in Singapore. This gym specializes in training fight champions or those who want to compete in the MMA realm. They are known for their world-class trainers as well as their sparring sessions that are meant to hone your fighting skills. Trial sessions can be booked through their website or their Facebook page.
- Location: 41C North Canal Road
- Opening Hours: M-F, 4:00pm – 10:00pm; Sat, 12:00pm – 5:00pm
- Website: http://fightg.com
5. Equilibrium MMA
This gym is all about convenience, from its location to its class schedules. One can pick from any of the 50 classes held at the gym, which is located at *SCAPE. They also offer private Muay Thai lessons with one-on-one sessions with their best coaches, if one has the means. Their state-of-the-art facilities and equipment also add to the appeal of this gym.
- Location: #03-06, 2 Orchard Link, *Scape
- Opening Hours: M-F, 6:30am – 9:30pm; Sat, 9:30am – 3:00pm; Sun, 12:00pm – 5:00pm
- Website: https://www.equilibrium.asia
6. Chowraiooi Muay Thai
If you want to be trained in a gym that is affiliated with the best Muay Thai coaches in Thailand, this is the place for you. Chowraiooi Muay Thai has ties with the Chaorai-oi Boxing Gym in Kubon, Thailand which is led by the Thai national team’s coach. Newbies are more than welcome here. Its location is in the Golden Mile Complex, right next to some of the best Thai restaurants in the city.
- Location: #03-06, 2 Orchard Link, *Scape
- Opening Hours: M-F, 10am – 12pm; 3pm – 4:30pm, 5:30pm – 7pm; 7:30pm – 9:30pm; Sat, 10am – 12pm; 3pm – 4:30pm; Sun, 10am – 12pm
- Website: http://www.chowraiooimuaythai.com
7. Juggernaut Fight Club
The Juggernaut Fight Club teaches a hybrid type of Muay Thai which combines techniques from the East and the West. In this case, the gym borrows techniques from Dutch kickboxing, making it more interesting and effective. Classes are taught by a team of local trainers along with ONE Championship holder Major Overall from the United States. The gym is also known for being one of the best fight gyms in the Lion City.
Although they do not offer trial classes, they do have a day pass that gives unlimited access for a whole day for only SGD$30.
- Location: 10 Seng Poh Road
- Opening Hours: M-F, 10am – 10pm; Sat, 10am – 4pm; closed on Sundays
- Website: http://juggernautfightclub.com
8. Vanda Boxing Club
Vanda Boxing Club calls itself Singapore’s first “smart” gym and this is because it makes use of technology, the best coaches and of course, the trusted techniques of martial arts. They offer only two types of classes – boxing and Muay Thai, which is broken down into specific sessions that target different areas such as conditioning, techniques, drills, and sparring. They offer a trial class which can be availed through their website.
- Location: 108 Robinson Rd, #01-01
- Opening Hours: M-F, 7am – 10pm; Sat, 7am – 3pm; closed on Sundays
- Website: https://www.vanda.fit/
9. The Ring
The Ring is one of Singapore’s newest boxing schools and is fast becoming a leader in promoting the love for boxing. Aside from boxing classes, they also have Muay Thai classes. Every class is handled by experienced coaches willing to pass on their knowledge and skills to others. Free trials are available for those who want to try out a session. They also have flexible membership packages that provide all access to the facilities and classes.
- Location: 58 Kim Yam Road #01-01
- Opening Hours: M-F, 7am – 10pm; Sat, 8am – 3pm; Sun, 8am – 12pm
- Website: https://www.thering.sg
10. The Jungle
The Jungle offers a wide variety of classes, from Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, mixed martial arts, boxing, and high-intensity impact training (HIIT). Members can also get personal training for whatever martial arts they pick. They are also considered to be one of the most affordable gyms for learning Muay Thai, for only SGD$30 for one class. Its proximity to the CBD also makes it attractive for those with busy schedules.
- Location: 35B Boat Quay UOB Plaza
- Opening Hours: M-F, 9am – 9pm; Sat, 9am – 5pm; Sun, 11am – 5pm
- Website: https://www.thejungle.asia
Let Muay Thai Help You Achieve Your Fitness Goals This 2018
If you are looking for Muay Thai for beginners, this list gives you plenty of good options. Whether you are serious about learning this ancient martial art or if you are simply in it to improve your health this 2018, you should have more than enough information to help you book that trial class. Soon enough, you will feel that extra power and strength that comes from learning the “art of the eight limbs.”
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
Almost 80% of our contents are app-exclusive (i.e. you can’t find in our website / Facebook): Click Here to Download the App!
Latest posts by Shopback Singapore (Content Partner) (see all)
- Guide to Buying Shoes in S’pore & Where to Buy Them - September 12, 2018
- Guide to Finding The Best-est Air Ticket Deals in 2018 - September 8, 2018
- What to Expect from Apple’s Special Event: Supposedly New iPhone XS & Apple Watch Series 4 - September 7, 2018