If you are like most residents of the Lion City, you probably spend day in and day out working and earning a living. Your days off from work become precious opportunities to take it easy and reconnect with family. This precious time, however, can be used to give back to the community via charity and it will be as rewarding as spending time with family. And you can do this by taking on volunteer work in Singapore.
For most people who volunteer, they not only find it rewarding emotionally, they also see it as a great opportunity to help out others while honing their skills at the same time. And you can do all that in different organisations all over Singapore offering all kinds of volunteer opportunities. Here are 15 places you can volunteer your time and skills to better causes.
1. Singapore Children’s Society
If you love little ones and love helping children, sign up as a volunteer at Singapore Children’s Society (SCS). The society whose main thrust is to care for children and to create a world that does so. This charity has served thousands of kids, young people and their families. With their 11 service centres, you can choose to provide direct services such as teaching and coaching students in core learning areas, work with challenged youth or help in awareness-raising and advocacy. The society conducts regular mentoring sessions with small groups of children, which happen after school. Check the society’s website for available volunteer opportunities and how to sign up.
- Location: Various locations; Corporate Headquarters – 298 Tiong Bahru Road #09-05 Central Plaza S (168730)
- Beneficiaries: Children of all ages, youth, and families
- Website: https://www.childrensociety.org.sg/volunteer-join
“Every child literate for life” is the vision of ReadAble. If you have a love for reading, this organization will be the perfect place to volunteer. They run weekly reading and language arts classes at the Residents’ Committee Centre for children between 2 to 12 years of age. As this children are still in school, their program complements the primary school curriculum and helps foster love for reading and learning.
You can offer to teach or handle reading sessions, or help in some office work or handling workshops. You can sign up through their website. ReadAble asks for a minimum of 6 months commitment for its volunteers.
- Location: Residents’ Committee Centre, Chin Wee
- Beneficiaries: Children, 2 to 12 years old
- Website: https://www.readablesg.com/
3. Breast Cancer Foundation
Volunteers at the Breast Cancer Foundation help spread awareness to the public about breast cancer. If you have a knack for sharing knowledge in interesting and engaging ways, you will enjoy working for the foundation. Sign up for one of their many campaigns, volunteer your time for their events and educational seminars. The foundation’s main goal is to help the public understand the importance of early detection of breast cancer.
- Location: 5 Stadium Walk, #04-03/08 Kallang Leisure Park, Singapore 397693
- Beneficiaries: Women and the general public
- Website: https://bcf.org.sg/
4. TOUCH Community Services
TOUCH Community Services is one of the pioneer non-profit charity organisations in Singapore. From serving disadvantaged children when they started out, they have expanded their services to the elderly and people with special needs. They have many volunteering opportunities which include meal delivery for elderly, mentoring of children, youth, and persons with disabilities, and accompanying elderly to their medical appointments among others.
Volunteers usually take the lead in holding workshops and seminars for the different service sectors of TOUCH. Fundraising events also require a lot of help from volunteers.
- Location: Blk 162 Bukit Merah Central, #05-3545 Singapore 150162
- Beneficiaries: Disadvantaged children, youth, elderly, and persons with disabilities
- Website: https://www.touch.org.sg
5. Willing Hearts
This charity organisation operates a Soup Kitchen that prepares 5,000 meals a day, which gets delivered to over 40 locations in Singapore. Its main beneficiaries are the elderly, persons with disabilities, disadvantaged children and their families and migrant workers. Volunteer work mainly involves food preparation and packaging as well as clean-up. Willing Hearts also encourages families to volunteer as a group, where kids can help with their parents. The Soup Kitchen operates from 4:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. but help is most needed when they are preparing the meals before distribution.
- Location: 11 Jalan Ubi Blk 6, #01-51 Kembangan – Chai Chee Community Hub, Singapore 409074
- Beneficiaries: Disadvantaged children, youth, elderly, and persons with disabilities
- Website: http://www.willinghearts.org.sg
6. Yellow Ribbon Project
Yellow Ribbon is all about second chances as it helps ex-offenders re-integrate within society. The project aims to help the effective rehabilitation of ex-offenders, while helping their families as well. It brings together volunteers who can help organize and conduct Yellow Ribbon events as well as do home visits to encourage ex-offenders to participate in the project. One of the big events of Yellow Ribbon is the Annual Yellow Ribbon Prison Run, which also requires a lot of volunteers.
If you are in a position to employ ex-offenders, you can also sign up as a partner employer. This can be done through their website.
- Location: 407, Upper Changi Rd North, 20km (Within Prison HQ Complex, Blk B), Singapore 507658
- Beneficiaries: Ex-offenders and their families
- Website: http://www.yellowribbon.org.sg
7. Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (ACRES)
Are you an animal lover? Then you will have a fulfilling time as a volunteer at ACRES. This non-profit organisation puts animal protection on top of its list. There are many various volunteer opportunities. Work directly with animals at their wildlife sanctuary or during wildlife rescue operations. Working with wildlife also requires volunteers to go through training to prepare them.
You can also help with fundraising activities and outreach events by helping in events organizing or in information campaigns.
- Location: ACRES Wildlife Rescue Centre (AWRC), 91 Jalan Lekar, Singapore 698917
- Beneficiaries: Animals of any species
- Website: http://acres.org.sg
8. Food From The Heart
Food from the Heart is a charity organisation that runs a food distribution programme in Singapore. Working with partner businesses such as bakeries, restaurants, and hotels, they gather surplus bread and other food items and distribute them to welfare centers and communities. They also have a toy donation drive which hopes to bring joy to disadvantaged children. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities, from collecting bread and food items, food sorting and packing school and family food packs, to helping out in fundraising.
Aside from Food From The Heart, there is also The Food Bank Singapore which operates a bigger and wider food distribution programme. Volunteers are needed in operations, advocacy, marketing and research and development. If you want an organisation with a wider reach, this is it.
- Location: 130 Joo Seng Road #03-01 Singapore 368357
- Beneficiaries: Disadvantaged children, youth and elderly
- Website: https://foodheart.org/
9. Club Rainbow
Here is another opportunity to work with children. Nothing can beat seeing a smile on a child’s face and at Club Rainbow, you will get to work with chronically-ill children and their families. This volunteer work requires a lot of commitment and a compassionate heart as you will be a mentor to these children during regular visits at their homes or at the hospital. During the annual Camp Rainbow, volunteers can man the food booths and generally help the kids and their families enjoy their day. You can also help out during events and by providing administrative and technical support.
- Location: Blk 538 Upper Cross Street #05-263/269 Singapore 050538
- Beneficiaries: Chronically-ill children and their families
- Website: https://www.clubrainbow.org
10. Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations (SCWO)
The Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations serves as the national coordinating body of women’s organisations all over the country, with over 50 member organisations. With their ideals of “Equal Space, Equal Voice and Equal Worth,” they provide services for women and children who are victims of domestic violence. Star Shelter provides temporary shelter for women and their children. They also have legal services to help these families deal with the issues.
Among the areas where they need help are mentoring services at the Star Shelter, shopkeeping of the New2U Thrift Shop and training at the IT Hub.
- Location: SCWO Centre, 96 Waterloo Street, Singapore 187967
- Beneficiaries: Women and children who are victims of domestic violence
- Website: http://www.scwo.org.sg
Plenty Of Volunteer Opportunities To Share Your Time And Skills
Before you consider becoming a volunteer, here are some questions you should ask yourself. These questions will also help you determine which organisation and what volunteer opportunity is best for you?
- What skills and knowledge do I have that I can share with others?
- What non-monetary resources do I have that I can use in my volunteer work?
- How much time can I devote to volunteer work? One day a month? One to two hours a week?
- What sector do I feel most comfortable working with? Children? Youth? Women? Elderly? Persons with Disabilities? Animals?
- Will I do it alone or will I bring family or friends?
Our list is by far not exhaustive as there are plenty of volunteering opportunities in the Lion City. You just need to know where to look. Being a volunteer is not simply having extra time to spare. It also means being able to share your skills and knowledge with others along the way.
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
- 100Plus Zero Sugar Review from a 100Plus Fan: It Could be Better than the Original
- Wedding Ang Bao Rates in 2018 Updated With Almost All S’pore Hotels
- Don’t Say Bojio: 10 Buffet Deals Happening in S’pore Now (April 18)
- 10 Events All Over S’pore in April 2018 That Both High-SES & Low-SES People Would Enjoy
- 6 Makan Places in Bukit Panjang That Are So Delicious, People Walk There Even if LRT Breaks Down
Featured Image: Dragon Images / Shutterstock.com
Latest posts by Shopback Singapore (Content Partner) (see all)
- 15 Makan Places in Holland Village That Are Worth the Calories & The Journey - April 22, 2018
- 15 Places to Get the Prettiest Bridesmaid Dresses in S’pore - April 22, 2018
- 15 Things to Do in Melbourne to Enjoy the Trip to the Fullest - April 21, 2018