It is rare now to find someone who stays on in a job for life. In today’s world, where individuals are constantly seeking for change, it is common for one to look for a career change. While a change in career may bring about new opportunities and higher pay; not doing so carefully can result in disastrous outcomes. Here are mistakes to avoid if you are looking to change your career.
- Don’t change your career without proper planning
Successfully changing a new job can take from six months to as long as a year. You must have a detailed plan in areas like finances, training, and research to ensure success in this transition.
- Don’t change a field without proper research
Not looking before leaping is definitely not wise. Before you change field, you have to find out if you are suited for that industry. Take time to understand more about the industry, matching of skills that you have and those that are necessary for that industry.
- Don’t change your job just because of money
No one would turn down a higher paycheck. But, with money as the sole factor for changing your career, it could lead to job dissatisfaction.
- Don’t change your job because you are unhappy
Many are complaining about their jobs: colleagues, bosses, pay and opportunities. They are unhappy with their current jobs and can’t wait for a time that they can leave. But, don’t just grab any other opportunities that come by. Take time to understand the reasons for unhappiness. Speak to people around you to solve the problems that you might be facing.
- Don’t change a field because others are doing well there
Just because your friends are doing well in a particular field, it does not mean that you will do well there too. Make sure you find out more about that particular field before going into it. You can always ask your friends or find out more about the industry online. The next time you are planning to change your career, do so carefully and with the above in mind! – Article contributed by TBC HR Consulting‘s Team – Shaun
Top Image: JonikFoto.pl / Shutterstock.com
Latest posts by TBC HR Consulting (S) Pte Ltd (Content Partner) (see all)
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Didn’t Get The Job - January 10, 2017
- 8 Startups In Singapore With The Coolest Employee Perks You’ll Want To Work At - January 10, 2017
- 4 Easy Steps to Add More Positive Energy For Your Work Cubicle - January 10, 2017