Don’t snort, there’s actually some good stuff going on here.
Pokémon Go was released today in Singapore and it has totally taken over many people’s lives, and handphones.
Here’s why I think Pokémon Go is actually a good thing for Singapore, even though this game comes with its own set of pitfalls (like tired arms).
1. We’re a community again
The last time a game unified so many people (to my memory) was Counterstrike, where although we were stuck to individual computers, we still played as a team and hung out together.
Pokémon Go has a similar effect. Although there are lone players, I’ve seen entire families on bicycles and scooters travel together to hunt down Pokémon at lure sites.
Going out with friends is in again.
Playgrounds and elderly exercise areas are hips among young adults again who congregate at these locations during a lure.
2. Couples talk to each other more
Couples spend the day taking walks and chatting about the latest tips, instead of one playing Candy Crush and the other checking the stock market, both in their own world of silence.
3. Lazy people transform to hardworking ones
With a big incentive to walk to a PokeStop, gym or lure location, lazy people are getting more exercise!
HPB and Sports Singapore can’t claim credit for this.
4. Get to know your neighbours and neighbourhood
With gyms at residential areas, maybe we will have more chances to know our virtual neighbours better.
The PokeStops also highlight local landmarks which may otherwise be overlooked by passers-by. Now you’ve a new reason to attend Sunday service.
CCs can consider creating lure parties to boost their event attendance, with free Wi-Fi and handphone charging stations.
5. Brick-and-mortar businesses have an opportunity to increase footfalls
Frasers Centrepoint and Ion Orchard have started leveraging on Pokémon Go contests and lures to attract players to their malls.
Go get a free drink at Ion Orchard and enjoy free aircon after hunting your Pokémon down.
I can’t wait to see what other interesting developments happen from having Pokémon Go in Singapore!
Featured Image: bbc.com
Latest posts by Guest Posts (see all)
- 5 Facts About 1986’s Hotel New World Collapse That You Probably Didn’t Know Of - August 15, 2017
- 5 Interesting Facts You Didn’t Know About The 1991 Pukul Habis Operation ‘Cuz You’re Not Born Yet - July 26, 2017
- 6 Interesting Facts About S’pore Buses & Bus Drivers S’poreans Don’t Know - July 10, 2017