Cab rides when you’re unintentionally late for classes, social expenses on the weekend, yada, yada… Your expenditure on food almost becomes secondary after all that jazz. Economical rice for days? No, thank you. Having nutritional meals is essential but we need an affordable price point.
Do you need good food for cheap? If you’re a student or staff living, studying or working around NUS, you’re in luck. Here are several places you can eat for less than $10.
1. Fiesta Restaurant, NUS Staff Club
Fiesta restaurant serves Chinese food dishes like seafood, chicken, vegetables, tofu, truly the surf and turf of Chinese cuisine. Group meals or ala carte options alike, dishes are usually for large groups, but they also have individual meal sets such as braised meatballs, fish sliced with ginger and leeks, braised pork belly and beef brisket served with rice and some vegetables. Sounds a tad little fancy for an affordable meal, but fret not, the price point is completely reasonable. All these individual sets cost between SGD $6.90 to $9.00.
- Address: 30 Lower Kent Ridge Road, NUS Staff Club, Singapore 119075
- Opening hours: Daily, 11.30am-2.00pm; 5.30pm-9.30pm
- Contact no: +65 62662708
2. Bread Yard
Us millennials are almost addicted to patronizing overpriced cafes. What for? Paying S$25++ to bask in the al fresco ambience? Give me a break. Bread Yard is a cafe that serves western brunch meals and a good range of their menu items are below $10. Pasta like the Aglio Olio and Carbonara are SGD $8 and $10 respectively. About 4 of their sandwiches are only $9 and all their speciality coffees are between SGD $4.50 to $6. Many also come here for the quiet atmosphere. It’s really a great spot if you have a pile of journal articles to read.
- Address: 1 Fusionopolis Place #01-23/24 Galaxis, Singapore
- Opening hours: Monday to Thursday, 8am to 7.30pm and Saturday, 9am to 2.30pm. Closed on Fridays and Sundays.
- Contact no: +65 9773 5318
3. Putera Puteri Our Makan Place
For your wholesome Malay food cravings, be sure to pop by Putera Puteri. Explore classics like the Nasi Goreng and Ikan BilisFried Rice for SGD $5 each. An assortment of prata for SGD $1-$3 each. Go early and enjoy the breakfast sets that include, half boiled eggs or scrambled eggs and toast with a choice of butter & kaya, baked beans or cheese.
- Address: 14 Clementi Road, Singapore 129741
- Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday, open 24 hours
- Tel: +6774 3832
4. Reedz Cafe
All items on Reedz Cafe’s menu, including the slab of chicken chop below coupled with cajun fries and greens, are under SGD $10. Indulge in premium dishes like the Salmon pasta in a Marinara sauce at a dime.
Burgers, quesadillas, salads, pasta, wraps, and sandwiches – all things ‘non-Asian’, you get us. Variety is the name of the game, with a different rice dish each day of the week, you’ll never run out of dining options.
- Address: 15 Kent Ridge Drive, Mochtar Riady Building, #01-03, 119245 Singapore
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am-9pm; Saturday 8am – 4pm
- Contact no: +65 6774-5898
5. Platypus Food Bar
Tucked away at the Faculty of Science, some of you NUS students might not even have heard of this. To make eating greens so much more tolerable, customers can select from different cuts of flavorful spiced meats to go with it. Do not be deceived by the (optionally) lack of carbohydrates in each salad dish, these salad bowls will fill you up just fine without all that guilt from a carbs heavy meal! Salad bowls are priced at SGD $5.50, S$7.50 and S$9.50 for varying portions respectively.
- Address: 16, Science Drive 2, Blk S16, Singapore
- Opening hours: Daily, 11am to 4pm
- Telephone no: +65 9068 1861
(Article continues below) Xing Xing is a 34-year-old Singaporean lady who decides to meet up with an online friend she found in Facebook. But it turns out that he’s not what he seems to be: Prepare boxes of tissue and watch the saddest Singapore Facebook love story here:
(Since you’re here, subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more informative videos lah)
6. Humble Origins
Looking past the dismay of consuming carbohydrates, Humble Origins offers croissant sandwiches, big breakfast platters, a delectable selection of baked goods, or put it simply, all things wholesome. Choose from a short stack of pancakes or go ham with a tall stack. It’s almost a Man Vs Food episode in here. Breakfast pancakes are never complete without a topping of sauce or in Humble Origins’ case, crispy bacon slices sandwiched between pancakes, and slathered with maple syrup. Pancakes and french toasts of sorts are priced between SGD $5.00 to $7.00. All-day brunch alternative at a competitive price, we can all bid McGriddles a solemn goodbye.
- Address: 1 Arts Link, National University of Singapore, Faculty of Arts & Social Science, Singapore 117568
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 6.00pm, Closed on Saturday and Sunday
- Contact no: +65 97253134
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
Latest posts by Shopback Singapore (Content Partner) (see all)
- Guide to Buying Shoes in S’pore & Where to Buy Them - September 12, 2018
- Guide to Finding The Best-est Air Ticket Deals in 2018 - September 8, 2018
- What to Expect from Apple’s Special Event: Supposedly New iPhone XS & Apple Watch Series 4 - September 7, 2018