When the Six reasons why WeChat is better than WhatsApp article was published, a reader sent in a private message, suggesting that we try Telegram. We were like, Tele..what?
Telegram is not exactly a popular app in Singapore or Malaysia. However, one just needs to try it to realize that it could well be better than the two giant messaging app. While it has not won in terms of number of users, let’s just say that based on the fast demise of SMS, we won’t be surprised if everyone is using Telegram in December 2015. So, what’s it about Telegram that makes it so interesting?
1. It has a “self-destruct” function for its messages
This is the best function of Telegram. Want to send a message that disappears within two seconds upon the recipient reading it? Send a message and set it to destruct within two seconds. Now, if you have a secret, you can be sure that it won’t land up in the wrong eyes.
2. It syncs with all your devices
Have an iPad, a Samsung and a PC? Despite these three brands constantly trying to outdo each other, Telegram can sync its chat program across all your devices. Now, you can chat with your friend on your friends outside with your Samsung and use your iPad to chat at home. Office? Use the web. It’s, of course, available, too.
3. It’s highly secured
It claims to be. But with technology so integrated with our lives, this is one thing that we cannot live without. To prove how serious they are about this, they have a strong encryption system and have once given $100,000 to a developer who found a bug on this system. They’re also giving $300,000 to anyone who find any security loophole. Now, we’re talking!
4. It can share files up to 1.5 GB
That’s like almost half of our data plan. How big do you still want it to be? Any bigger and you’ll have to use a ThumbDrive.
5. The “last seen” function is ingenious
Why? Let Telegram’s FAQ explains for you:
– Last seen recently — covers anything between 1 second and 2-3 days
– Last seen within a week — between 2-3 and 7 days
– Last seen within a month — between 6-7 days and a month
– Last seen long time ago — more than a month (this is also always shown to blocked users)
Estimates instead of being precise just to tell you whether one is active—why didn’t WhatsApp think of that?
6. It’s not a commercial company
WhatsApp and WeChat are owned by giant commercial companies. And every company’s objective is always the same: profits. Telegram is not—so their priority is to merely create something that users want, not something that makes the most money.
Latest posts by Goody Feed Team (see all)
- Pulling Out 1 White Hair Would Lead to 3 White Hair? Here’re the Facts - December 8, 2017
- This isn’t Photoshopped: It’s Real Red Durians & It’ll Make You Drunk - December 3, 2017
- 10 things that make no sense today but were so damn cool in early 2000s - November 30, 2017