National Day is just around the corner, and you wouldn’t want to miss out on the celebrations this year. National Day takes place on August 9th every year, and it marks the day when Singapore separated from the Malaysian federation to become a country by itself. The day is special because it is a time to commemorate all the small but special things that make us Singaporeans.
If you’re looking for a way to celebrate with your fellow Singaporeans, here are some ideas to enjoy the day to the fullest:
1. Watch the fireworks from Swissotel, The Stamford
Watching the fireworks live it is always better than watching it on the television or online. However, it may not be easy for you to get close to where the action is. For this reason, you can book a staycation for yourself and your loved ones at the Swissotel, The Stamford. Due to their proximity to Marina Bay Sands, you’ll be able to catch the fireworks from the comfort of your room. Swissotel’s National Day package features a complimentary breakfast and free parking for guests, and preview packages start from $488 to $888 onwards.
- Where: Swissotel, The Stamford, 2 Stamford Road
- What: Watch the National Day fireworks from a comfortable hotel room
- How to book: Visit https://www.swissotel.com/hotels/singapore-stamford/promotions/special-events/national-day-2018/
If you’re booking any accommodation near Marina Bay Sands on National Day, the best way is to compare prices online on sites like Booking.com, Agoda and Hotels.com. All these sites have ongoing cashback deals and promotions that you can take advantage of.
2. Volunteer for Charity
This year, the National Day Parade organizers are putting together a series of charity events, called #anationthatcares or The SG Cares Movement. It will feature 18 days of charity events which started from 14th July and will take place all the way to August 9th. These events include visits to the elderly, hospital support groups, adult enhancement programs, youth talent development and many more.
Members of the public are encouraged to find out more about these events and volunteer for them. The full charity events schedule is available at the official NDP website. You can sign up for any event as a volunteer by clicking on the name of the event.
3. Treat Yourself to A Buffet Meal
There are many restaurants and cafes around Singapore offering a special National Day buffet deal. One of these places is, of course, Oscar’s at Conrad Centennial Singapore. Their special National Day buffet promotion will run from August 3rd to 31stand will cater to both the lunch and dinner crowd. Prices range from $59++ for lunch and $79++ for dinner, depending on whether you go on a weekday or weekend.
- Where: Oscar’s, Conrad Centennial Singapore, Two Temasek Boulevard, Singapore, 038982, Singapore
- Contact: +65-6334-8888
- Website: http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/hotels/singapore/conrad-centennial-singapore-SINCICI/index.html
For more buffets promotions to enjoy throughout the year, check here.
4. Grab a Cooling Beverage at Oh Cha Cha
Beat the heat as you go out this National Day by dropping by Oh Cha Cha. If you buy certain beverages like the Jinfeng Tea with fresh fruits and Chocolate Tofu Tea, you’ll be able to buy one of four available beverages for only $1. This deal is going to be available from 14th July to 9th August, so do drop by for a satisfying cup of delicious tea.
- Where: 930 Yishun Ave 2, Unit #01-01 Singapore I #B1 – K16 Tampines 1 Mall, Yishun, Singapore
- What: Buy a second cup of cooling tea for only $1
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ohchachasg/
5. Join A National Day Carnival
If mingling with the crowds at the National Day Parade just isn’t your thing, then drop by the ‘Together As One’ carnival at The Yards, Joo Chiat Place. The carnival will feature many family-friendly activities, including a heritage walk through Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew’s former school. Additionally, there will also be a flea market, stage performances, a pet corner and an amazing race. The carnival will take place on the 4th and 5th of August, and participants can sign up for one or both days. Admission is free and the carnival starts at 11am.
- Where: The Yards, 406 Joo Chiat Place, Singapore
- What: Fun activities for the whole family at the ‘Together As One’ carnival
- Website: http://togetherasone.flyingcape.com.sg/
6. Eat Fast Food Specials
Both McDonald’s and KFC Singapore have come up with new menu items this National Day. McDonald’s pays tribute to local hawker favourites with the ‘Ha Ha Cheong Gai’ menu which features a chicken burger patty that has been marinated in prawn paste and then deep fried. The burgers cost about $6.00 and there’s also the Ha Ha Cheong Gai chicken drumettes at $2.20 for two pieces.
(Since you’re here, subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more informative videos lah)
KFC, on the other hand, has launched their Goldspice fried chicken with salted egg, curry leaves, spicy chilli and sweet basil. The chicken comes in various sets with whipped potatoes and coleslaw and is priced at $8.55 for a two piece set. This special chicken will only be available until August 9th, which is National Day itself.
- Where: McDonald’s and KFC outlets all over the island
- What: Try out the special National Day menus
- Facebook pages: https://www.mcdonalds.com.sg/. https://www.kfc.com.sg/Menu#!/
Feeling proud. HBD Singapore!
No matter how you want to show it, your patriotism will come through this National Day. Even if you’re not at the annual NDP, you can still join in the celebrations in your own special way, and have fun doing it.
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
Almost 80% of our contents are app-exclusive (i.e. you can’t find in our website / Facebook): Click Here to Download the App!
Latest posts by Shopback Singapore (Content Partner) (see all)
- Guide to Buying Shoes in S’pore & Where to Buy Them - September 12, 2018
- Guide to Finding The Best-est Air Ticket Deals in 2018 - September 8, 2018
- What to Expect from Apple’s Special Event: Supposedly New iPhone XS & Apple Watch Series 4 - September 7, 2018