SPM Malaysia vs O Level
For Singapore, English is the main language for all subjects to be tested in, except for languages examinations. For Malaysia, Malay is the main language the tests are in, excepts for the languages too.
For some subjects, there is a choice of either Malay or English.
Age when you take the test
For Singapore, ‘O’ levels are usually taken in the 4th or 5th year of secondary education. For Malaysia, everyone takes it in their 5th year of secondary education.
You can take both tests in Malaysia but not in Singapore
In Malaysia, you can also opt to take the ‘O’ levels after taking SPM but in Singapore, there is no option of taking the SPM.
Grading of English
The SPM English Language paper is graded separately by the LPM (an examination board in Malaysia) and by UCLES, and both grades are displayed on the results slip. In Singapore, the grading is only done once by Cambridge.
This Singapore through-train programme offered to a select group allows students to bypass ‘O’ levels. These students do not have to take the national exams but just a school exam and can go up to pre-university level to just take the ‘A’ levels. There is no such scheme in Malaysia and all students have to take the SPM.
Main organizers conducting the exams
The SPM is conducted by the local examination board in Malaysia while the ‘O’ levels is a Singapore-Cambridge examination offered jointly by both countries’ examination board.
Enjoyed this article because it’s both informative and entertaining? If so, you should download the Goody Feed app so that you won’t miss out on any articles, as there are app-exclusive contents as well! Also, join our Telegram channel if you use Telegram often!
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Malaysia Now Has 3 Confirmed Wuhan Virus Cases & They’re the Wife & Grandchildren of S’pore First Patient
- Doctor Battling Wuhan Virus Dies After Being Infected For 9 Days
- Here Are the Chinese Zodiac Signs That Need to Bai Tai Sui (拜太岁) For 2020
- Tourist From Wuhan Brags How She Evaded Health Checks; Got Called Out By Netizens
- 949 Clinics to Be Open During CNY 2020 Period; 15 Clinics Will Open 24 Hours
- The Lucky Dates to Start Work After CNY & What to Do If You Can’t Take Off