Man Hospitalised After Power Bank Explodes In His Pocket at Bedok Hawker Centre

Image: HungryGoWhere / Lianhe Wanbao

My mama once told me, Never buy an e-bike. It’ll explode on you.

And no matter how much I try to convince her otherwise, she still won’t give the money to “her useless bum of a son”.

But if you want, I can get you a power bank. They’re safe and they help me make sure you’re contactable.

Yes, she cares.

Not really, I just love calling you and screaming your ears off to vent.

But putting aside our loving relationship, there’s one thing she’s wrong about.

Powerbanks do explode.

Man’s Power Bank Explodes in Pocket at Bedok Hawker Centre

On 11 January 2019, a man’s power bank unexpectedly exploded in his pocket.

Witnesses to the incident said that they saw grey smoke and could smell the burning stench of chemicals in the air.

The man suffered burns on his hands when he removed the device from his pocket.

It was clear from the man’s expression that he was in a lot of pain and passers-by helped wrap ice around his hand with a plastic wrap.

Man Was Using His Phone With Charger Connected

The SCDF was alerted to the incident at around 6:40 p.m. at Block 209 New Upper Changi Road. The man, who is in his 40s, is immediately conveyed to Changi General Hospital. A duck rice stall assistant, Huang Jia Qiang, told Lianhe Wanbao that he saw the man using his phone while eating, with the phone connected to the power bank in his pocket.

Click Here to Download the Free App and Read The Full Article

Do you have someone in your office who doesn’t dare to make a call? If so, this video is for you: