Unless you’ve never left your house before, you’ll have come across a cute egg yolk, from its soft toys to its phone casing. Heck, you might even see them in, say, a petrol station.
Maybe you thought it’s just a fad, or a Pokemon in the Pokemon universe. Apparently not. Commonly known as either 蛋黄哥, or Gudetama (we have writers in our office knowing only the Mandarin name or the Japan name), it has taken the whole of Singapore and Malaysia by storm, even though not many know the exact origin of the character.
Well, you’re at the right place.
It was born during a Sanrio Food Character Election.
Gudetama is an egg, and it is named after two things. Gude means having no energy while tama is Japanese for egg.
Gudetama has a twitter account.
The Japanese words in his profile says “I really don’t feel like tweeting every day. It’s such a bother. I’ll do it because the higher-ups tell me to, but I know I’m only going to be eaten in the end.”
It has its own animation series.
There is a Gudetama cafe in Hong Kong.
The restaurant serves cartoon buns (where you can squeeze the filling out from Gudetama’s butt) and even Gudetama dimsum. How could you bear to eat them?
You can get Gudetama merchandise.
Have you fallen for this cute egg yolk yet? If so, you can get Gudetama pens, phone cases and more, as the broadcast station for the animation series is selling them.
Enjoyed this article because it’s both informative and entertaining? If so, you should download the Goody Feed app so that you won’t miss out on any articles, as there are app-exclusive contents as well! Also, join our Telegram channel if you use Telegram often!
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Ultimate Guide to The Fortune of All 12 Chinese Zodiac Signs in 2020 (Would You Huat or Lose Everything in the Rat year?)
- Website Promoted By Popular S'pore YouTuber Blocked By Police For Being A Remote Gambling Site
- Man Borrowed $80 From Officer During NS, Returns It After 18 Years
- Everything About the $12 Million Hong Bao Toto Draw 2020 That’s Happening on 7 Feb
- Complete Guide to All the Extended MRT & Bus Services on CNY 2020 Eve
- CNY Ang Bao Rates 2020 Based On A Regular S’porean’s Income