Why is your first $100K so important?
Nothing beats the feeling of having a six-figure sum in your bank account for a start (you can work towards a seven-figure one from there).
Here are 3 good reasons:
- Practical: This is around 1/4 of what you need for any Singaporean financial life of around $422k (HDB, Marriage, Renovation, First Kid etc.) This also gives you your emergency funds buffer
- Motivational: This gives you a target to work towards thus more motivation to move beyond $100K
- Habitual: Your lifestyle and habits would have been tilted towards a more financially savvy one. This includes higher saving rates, better budgeting strategies or regular investment set up
TL;DR: Your strategy to reach your first $100K
- Understand your Timeframe: If you know what time period are aiming towards (eg. 5 years, 4 years or 3 years) and subsequently which financial products you need
- Understand Risk and Return: DIY or Active Funds may give one higher returns, but you will have to consider the risk appetite and investment knowledge before investing in them
- If you choose a deposit account at 0.5% return p.a: It will be challenging to hit $100K just by savings alone as you will need over $1.7k monthly
- If you invest in an ETF at 6% return p.a: You can hit $100K in 5 years with $1.4k of channeling to investments
Common investment products in Singapore
We write more in detail regarding this chart you see below in the products and various interest rates to beat inflation. But for the sake of this article, we will be focusing on sharing the different products you can use to actually reach that $100k and what timeframe is required 🙂
Another cheating scandal has emerged, and this time, it involves Show Luo and a young actress. Click on the image to read more!
How much do you need to set aside each month to reach your first $100K?
To break it down into how much you need to save each month to achieve your target within certain years, we lay out two assumptions:
- One saves/invest a fixed amount every month
- Constant annual returns % per annum
As mentioned, we peg returns % to various financial products which Singaporeans are more familiar with (eg. SSB with 2.0% returns)
To save $100K in 3 years:
To save $100K in 4 years:
To save $100K in 5 years:
Further Reading: A Median Singaporean
The median salary for Singaporeans is $3,500 indicating a take-home pay of $2,800. Again this situation varies from case to case and also based on prudence to manage and invest his/her own funds.
Is it possible to save $100K in LESS than 5 years?
- Starting with $0 savings
- Looking at a 2% annual return
- Aims to save $100K in 5 years
Yes, it can be done!
As seen from the table above, this can be attained by setting aside $1,586.11 each month into the Singapore Savings Bonds, leaving him with $1,213.89. Assuming a young working adult with little commitment, the amount is potentially attainable.
The calculation above also DID NOT take into account:
- Possible year-end and performance bonus
- Any possible IPPT award money (for guys) or possible GST Voucher
- Possible pay increments over the years
All the above factors can help one increase the possibility of reaching his $100K milestone.
Since you’re here, why not watch a video about a guy who lodged a Police report here in Singapore because he was friendzoned? Seriously. Here, watch it and do remember to share it (and also subscribe to Goody Feed YouTube channel)!
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- After DM Leaks, Carrie Wong ‘Lost’ a Role That Was Planned for Rebecca Lim
- #FastFoodFriday: Burger King Kopi Pie & Chilli Cheese Bites Review: Best Pie Ever, Worst Bite Ever
- Lawyer Who Ran Away with $33m Had Planned His Escape Like a Movie Criminal
- Huawei to Give 100% Refund if Facebook & Google Apps Stop Working, But Only in The Philippines
- ‘New Version’ of Avengers: Endgame is Coming Back to Theatres With Additional Scenes Next Week
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!