Today is 14 August 2019, and what does that mean?
It’s the fourteenth day of August! Woohoo!
And guess what? Tomorrow is the fifteenth day of August! Woohoo!
No biggie, actually, except that it’s the Hungry Ghost Festival.
The confused face of yours must be saying, “Goody Feed kee siao again, Hungry Ghost Festival is a month-long celebration for ghost foodies to queue up for bubble tea. They try to fake news is it?”
Well, no, my dear confused friend.
Technically speaking, Hungry Ghost Festival is a day that falls on the 15th of July in the Lunar calendar. The month-long even is known as Hungry Ghost Month instead, which is why in this video we’ve done, we only said “Hungry Ghost Month” instead of “Hungry Ghost Festival”.
In some places, the seventh month is merely called the “Ghost Month” while the 15th day is called the “Ghost Day”.
Now, if that is the case, what can we expect tomorrow?
More Hungry Ghosts
On the first day of the Hungry Ghost Month, the gates of hell are open, so ghosts are free to roam in our realm for entertainment and food. On the second day of the month, the gates of Heaven are then open.
On the 15th day, it’s said that in the night, ghosts and evil spirits would get together, which explains why more people are burning offerings during this day to appease the ghosts. It’s also known as Zhongyuan Fesitval (中元节).
You’d therefore see a lot more offerings tomorrow night, and because after fourteen days, the ghosts are now “hungrier” and therefore would be seeking for food and entertaining. The foods you see that are offered would be more sumptuous as well.
It’s best to know the taboos during this period and avoid them at all cost. In other words, don’t swim, go home early and try your best not to kick any offerings. If there’s one day you should go home early this month, make it tomorrow.
But if you’ve planned a party tomorrow night, do prepare more food. There might be…uninvited guests.
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- #FastFoodFriday: KFC Brown Sugar Boba Tea Tarts: The Pearls Are Just Jellies Shaped Like Boba
- Police NSF Jailed For Tricking Woman Into Exposing Bra During Video Call
- M’sian Influencer Who Called Women Who Wear Size M Clothes ‘Fat’ Apologises
- Miss S’pore International Charlotte Chia Says She Doesn’t Care That Netizens Insult Her Looks
- #ThirstyThursday: Playmade Wasabi Milk Tea Review: An Unholy Concoction Explained Only By Chaos
- Man Slams Dog On The Floor & Kicks It Because Of Its High Medical Bill