For years, Singapore has been split by a roaring debate:
West vs East; which side has the better food?
Unfortunately, even after multiple battles of epic proportions (which has seen numerous innocent lives taken away), the winner still hasn’t been determined.
But what’s this… a tire of all things seems to be looming in the horizons…
Do we finally have ourselves a victor?
The Michelin Bib Gourmand 2018, a list that honours eateries that dish up quality food for less than S$45.
(And yes, my boys and girls; it’s a list for those who’ve long forgotten how it feels to have a thick wallet full of cash)
Incidentally, judging from the list, you can tell two things:
- The East reigns supreme… hands down.
- The West is pretty much deprived of good food.
But of course, it’s pretty much just Mr Michelin’s judgement, and really it’s not like in the Army where the one size fits all policy seems to be slotted everywhere (Ben Davis *cough*), so you might not actually agree with the list.
But seeing how it’s probably the most recognisable food guide in the world…
We reckon it’s worth a look.
Note: We are aware that some places aren’t exactly in the West, or in the East. As such, please suck thumb and just take it with a grain of salt, like the excessively salty person you are. #oops #justkidding
(Since you’re here, subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more informative videos lah)
- Ah Er Soup (ABC Brickworks Food Centre)
- Chuan Kee Boneless Braised Duck (Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre)
- Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa
- Hong Kong Yummy Soup (Alexandra Village Food Centre)
- New Lucky Claypot Rice
- New Ubin Seafood (Bukit Batok)
- Shi Hui Yuan (Queenstown)
- Sin Kee Famous Cantonese Chicken Rice (Holland Drive)
- Tiong Bahru Yi Sheng Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee (ABC Brickworks Food Centre)
- Zai Shun Curry Fish Head
And on the other corner of the ring, we have the Easties.
- A Noodle Story
- Alliance Seafood
- Balestier Road Hoover Rojak
- Bar-Roque Grill
- Bismillah Biryani
- Chai Chuan Tou Yang Rou Tang (Bukit Merah View Food Centre)
- Chey Sua Carrot Cake
- Eminent Frog Porridge & Seafood (Geylang Road Lorong 19)
- Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa
- Fresh Taste Big Prawn Noodle (Zion Riverside Food Centre)
- Heng Carrot Cake (Newton Food Centre)
- Hong Heng Fried Sotong Prawn Mee
- Hong Kee Beef Noodle
- Hoo Kee Bak Chang
- J2 Famous Crispy Curry Puff
- Ka-Soh (Outram Park)
- Kok Sen Restaurant
- Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow (Old Airport Road Food Centre)
- Lian He Ben Ji Claypot Rice (Chinatown Complex)
- Liao Fan Hawker Chan (78 Smith Street)
- Man Man (Tanjong Pagar)
- Muthu’s Curry (Little India)
- Na Na Homemade Curry (Bukit Merah)
- Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
- Rolina Traditional Hainanese Curry Puff (Tanjong Pagar Plaza Market & Food Centre)
- Shi Wei Da (Fengshan Market and Food Centre)
- Sik Bao Sin (Desmond’s Creation)
- Sin Huat Eating House
- Song Fa Bak Kut Teh (New Bridge Road)
- Tai Wah Pork Noodle (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
- The Blue Ginger
- The Coconut Club
- Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice (Maxwell Food Centre)
- Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice (Tiong Bahru Food Centre)
- Shirokane Tori-tama
- True Blue Cuisine
- Whole Earth
- Yhingthai Palace
- Zaffron Kitchen (East Coast)
See your favourite eatery on the list?
Well if you don’t, chill out, because I know how you feel. Really, they’ve obviously never tried Jia Yuen Eating House’s Salted Egg Buttermilk Chicken Rice before, seeing how that shit’s the bomb and it probably warrants like 10 Michelin stars, much less just one.
Also, they’ve obviously never tried 302 CCK Foodhouse’s Bak Chor Mee as well.
Just a tip, my homies over at Michelin. #noneedtothankme
Westies, are you triggered?
Because I know I am. As a proud Westie supporter at heart, I want my side to secure victory (as well as procure more Michelin-starred places near my residence, but let’s not tell them that).
So to the hawkers and restaurateurs…
Buck up, and we hope to see you guys in next year’s list! #westiepride
On another note, don’t get so cocky just yet, Easties. On 25 July, Michelin will unveil the Singaporean restaurants with the coveted Michelin stars…
So you can be darn sure this battle isn’t over yet.
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
Almost 80% of our contents are app-exclusive (i.e. you can’t find in our website / Facebook): Click Here to Download the App!
Latest posts by Zhi Hao (see all)
- A Smoker Was Caught Smoking at an HDB Staircase Landing & Fined $200 At 10:14 pm - October 22, 2018
- S’pore Cab Driver Related His Encounter With a Tree Branch In Goody Feed Style - October 22, 2018
- Man Lifted Up Carpark Gantry Barrier By Hand & Broke It; HDB Says ‘Never Mind’ - October 20, 2018