Lo and behold, people of the Nation. There has been revolutionizing news of late… and I’m not referring to the second Trump-Kim meeting that might yet happen. Instead, I’m talking about iPhone’s latest venture:
The latest iPhone X series.
Now I know what you’re thinking; aren’t they just gonna be longer in length, and maybe boast a slightly higher battery capacity or something? Well, ladies and gentlemen…
You’re wrong… somewhat anyway. For one, how about these for a fact:
They are equipped with dual 12-megapixel cameras, OLED displays and…
Actual A12 Bionic chips, which don’t just sound fast but are fast.
Yeah, this year’s lineup is pretty darn impressive.
And I haven’t even skimmed the surface of it.
(Editor’s note: Writer is an iPhone fanboy)
1. Triple Threat
Like the Pokemon series, Apple has a tendency to release three iPhones at the same time. Unlike the Pokemon series, however, Apple has a tendency to release all three phones at the same time, instead of waiting like a couple of months to make fans piss their pants in excitement.
And with last year’s iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X grabbing all the headlines there could possibly be, it seems that a new trio’s all set for some cover pictures on Vogue Weekly:
The iPhone XR, XS and XS Max.
Tripe X. Or you can call it, the XXX.
iPhone XS and iPhone XR might sound similar in nature (given that they both start with iPhone X), and while they do have their similarities, they are also pretty different at the same time. How though, you ask.
Well, the budget.
While the iPhone XS and XS Max are pretty much your amped-up versions of the old iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, the XR, although sharing an uncanny resemblance to iPhone X, is more of the same vein as the old iPhone SE.
It’s distinctly cheaper.
But I would just like to interject a fact nobody really cares about: the old iPhone SE might have been a budget phone, but it certainly looks like one. The XR, however, shares the design and many of the same specs as the higher-end iPhones.
Plus, it comes in vibrant colours that will surely shake up your monochrome life. Though to be fair, it did have some compromises to its designs and features too, but considering how its starting price is at US $749, I would say there’s a definite market for it.
3. XS and XS Max
If you fancy yourself as a professional iPhone photographer, you’re not going to like this one:
The iPhone XS and XS Max cameras share the same specs.
But before you boycott all Apple products and tattoo a Samsung logo on your forehead and call yourself the Galaxy Bender, hear me out: while they undeniably share the same specs, Apple has promised that you’ll get more from the camera than what you did with iPhone X, because of one core component:
The A12 Bionic chip.
Indeed, the camera’s algorithms have already boasted quite a number of impressive features, including:
- Detecting people’s faces and bodies
- Instant red-eye reduction
- A smart HDR that can identify highlights and discover shadow detail
And how about this for a fact tidbit: you can now adjust the depth of a portrait mode photo (named the bokeh effect, which essentially means the blur background in a photo / video) after taking a photo, which means that you have complete control over all blur effects. Our resident videographer would go apeshit, indeed. But he’s shit anyways, so moving on.
And with a slider serving as a pathway for all editing in the Photos app, I dare say camera editing just got a whole lot easier.
4. Next-Generation Technologies
The iPhone XS might boast pretty impressive camera tools, but that’s not the only photogenic factor about it.
“iPhone XS is packed with next-generation technologies and is a huge step forward for the future of the smartphone,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing.
“Everything is state of the art including the industry-first 7-nanometer A12 Bionic chip with 8-core Neural Engine, faster Face ID and an advanced dual camera system that shoots Portrait mode photos with Smart HDR and dynamic depth of field.”
(Editor’s Note: Adjectives, adjectives and adjectives again)
Additionally, it comes with an improved battery that reportedly gets you up to 30 minutes longer than the iPhone X does, as well as a faster-operating Face ID, 3D Touch pressure-sensitive screen and stereo sound with a wider stereo field than the 2017 iPhone models.
5. Exact diff between S and M
As I mentioned earlier on, the XS and XS Max share virtually the same specifications, which leads you to wonder why anyone would fork out an extra few hundred bucks for the Max. Unless they’re Ms, and I’m not talking about Maxes.
But in answer to your question, there’s the usual difference:
While unobvious at first glance, the screens do differ in size. The XS possesses the same 5.8-inch size, OLED tech and 2436 x 1125 resolution as the iPhone X, while the XS Max lies at 6.5-inch, with a 2688 x 1242 resolution.
However, seeing how both have the same 458 ppi pixel density, going larger doesn’t actually optimise sharpness. It just takes more space in your pocket.
But enough of rambling, because I can hear all the techies chanting one word over and over again:
Specs, specs, specs, specs, specs…
And being the good guy that I undoubtedly am, here are the specifications for the iPhone XS and XS Max:
- Two sizes: 5.8-inch (458 ppi) and 6.5-inch (458 ppi), with OLED HDR screen (Super Retina displays)
- Colours: Gold, silver and space gray finishes
- Dual camera: 12-megapixel wide and telephoto lenses
- Front-facing cameras: 7-megapixel camera will bring depth to portrait mode photos
- A12 Bionic chip: 7-nanometer processor promises to launch apps 30 percent faster than 2017 iPhones
- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 512GB
- IP68 water-resistance rating (2 meters depth; up to 30 minutes in water)
- Battery life: iPhone XS should last 30 minutes longer than iPhone X; iPhone XS Max claims 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone X
- Dual-SIM card support through eSIM technology
- Face ID promises to work faster at unlocking the phones
- 3D Touch pressure-sensitive screen
- Stereo sound with a wider stereo field than 2017 iPhones
- iOS 12 software
Oh, yeah, only three colours. Boo.
7. The XR Specs
- 6.1-inch LCD screen with 1,792×828-pixel resolution and 326ppi (Retina display)
- Aluminum body with glass back
- Single camera: 12-megapixel wide-angle lens, with OIS (same as iPhone XS)
- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- Portrait mode photos through software
- FaceID with same True-Depth camera system as iPhone XS
- A12 Bionic chip
- Battery life claim: 1.5 hours more per day than the iPhone 8 Plus
- IP67 water resistance
- No 3D Touch on iPhone XR. Instead, you get haptic touch, like a trackpad
- iOS 12 software
- Colours: Blue, coral (pink), yellow, white, black, Product Red
Six colours. Oh, yeah!
8. Price point
And of course, I bet you guys are just thirsting for the price panels, so here ya go.
Well, guess the iPhone fans gotta buck up their wallets from here on out, because the cheapest one, a 64GB iPhone XR actually starts from SGD$1,027. That is considered…”budget”?
The next cheapest, the iPhone XS, starts from $1370 SGD. And the Max isn’t going to let your bank account loose, with a whopping starting price of SGD$1,507.
(Article continues below) Xing Xing is a 34-year-old Singaporean lady who decides to meet up with an online friend she found in Facebook. But it turns out that he’s not what he seems to be: Prepare boxes of tissue and watch the saddest Singapore Facebook love story here:
(Since you’re here, subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more informative videos lah)
9. Comparative Analysis
And here’s a decidedly more explicit comparative analysis to really get your iPhone groove in gear.
10. Release Dates
According to CNET, preorders for the iPhone XS and XS Max start tomorrow (14 September), with the phones slated to release next Friday (21 Sep).
As for the iPhone XR, preorders begin 19 Oct, and it starts selling from 26 Oct 2018.
By the way, there’s also an announcement about a new Apple Watch Series 4, but honestly…who cares?
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
Join our Telegram channel and you won't miss out on the most popular articles: https://t.me/goodyfeedsg
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Another S’pore Influencer Allegedly Got into Shotgun Marriage
- PMD Rider Confronts Couple For Allegedly Staring At Him When He Rode PMD On Footpath
- S’pore Man Allegedly Lost Phone In Taxi & Had $4,000 Stolen From GrabPay
- 54YO Record Shop In Chinatown Complex Center Forced To Close Down By End Nov 2019
- Driver Who Took Video Of PM Lee’s Son Fined & Disqualified From Driving
- #FastFoodFriday: Subway Breaded Chicken Cutlet: It’s Still Subway