MOH: Recent Death of a 16YO Boy is Not Linked to COVID-19 Vaccine


The Ministry of Health (MOH) clarified in a Facebook post on Wednesday (14 July) that the recent death of a 16-year-old boy was not related to vaccination

The ministry said that they are aware of “speculation” taking place on platforms such as Facebook, Telegram and Whatsapp chat groups featuring an obituary. 

The obituary belonged to a 16-year-old boy who had passed away on 10 July

This has led to assumptions that the teenager had passed away due to an adverse event related to the COVID-19 vaccine. 

The ministry has made it clear that the “demise” that is being circulated online is not related to the COVID-19 vaccine. 

They have also appealed to the public not to “spread unsubstantiated information which may add up to the family’s grief or cause public alarm unnecessarily”. 

Earlier on, MOH had announced that it was investigating the possible causes behind a 16-year-old boy who had suffered cardiac arrest after a weightlifting session. 

The COVID-19 vaccine was indicated as a possible factor as the boy had received the first dose of the vaccine six days prior to his weightlifting session. 

He was reported to be in critical condition in the intensive care unit (ICU) at the National University Hospital (NUH).

Some members of the public have speculated that the boys in both incidents are the same.

It’s so far unknown whether or not these events are separate. 

Teenager Suffered from Cardiac Arrest After Weightlifting Session Six Days Prior to First Jab

By now, most of us would have heard of the 16-year-old boy who collapsed after a strenuous weightlifting session that took place six days after his first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. 

MOH had announced that the teenager was in critical condition in the ICU at NUH. 

When he received his first vaccine dose, he was assessed by trained healthcare personnel and found to be suitable for vaccination.

He had also gone through the 30-minute onsite observation period without any hiccups. 


He was also physically well for the five days that followed after his vaccination. 

On the sixth day, he headed to the gym for a weightlifting session. He was found to be lifting weights that were “above his body weight”. 

He then collapsed at home later that morning and was taken to the emergency department at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital before being transferred to NUH in the evening.

Featured Image: Facebook (Ministry of Health, Singapore)