This year, Chinese New Year falls on 12 Feb 2021.
Other than the usual spring-cleaning, preparation for feasting and clothes shopping, here’s one more thing that some of us have to do: Go to the temple to bai tai sui.
Tai Sui 2021 Guide: Zodiac Signs That Need to Bai Tai Sui (拜太岁)
Lest you’re not aware, Tai Sui (太岁) are the stars that are directly opposite the planet Jupiter, and they personified as deities in Chinese astrology.
The deities are in charge of people’s fortune. Every year, there would be several Chinese zodiac signs that would be in conflict with Tai Sui, which we’ll refer to as “犯太岁”.
These people would have unstable luck the entire year, so in order to counter the bad luck, they’ll have to worship the Tai Sui deities (拜太岁).
This year, there are five Chinese Zodiac signs which clashed with Tai Sui:
- Ox: 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009
- Goat: 1931, 1943, 1955, 1967, 1979, 1991, 2003
- Dog: 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006, 2018
- Horse: 1942, 1954, 1966, 1978, 1990, 2002, 2014
- Dragon: 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012
For those whose zodiac signs offended Tai Sui, you can go to the temple to make offerings to Tai Sui, also known as bai tai sui, to make sure your 2021 turns out better than 2020.
How to Bai Tai Sui in Singapore
You’d have to bai tai sui in the first fifteen days of the Chinese New Year.
To do so, simply go to a temple and ask the staff on what you should do. You do not need to bring anything as you can buy the offerings from the temple. Or just follow the crowd because there’d most likely be many people bai-ing tai sui, too.
However, do bring extra cash in an ang bao as it’s a tradition to give an ang bao to the temple.
Do’s & Don’ts For People Who Fan Tai Sui
- Adopt a positive mindset and don’t worry too much
- Attend joyous celebrations as much as you can to absorb some positive energy
- Try to avoid going to funerals and hospitals
- Go for wisdom tooth extraction or donate blood to overcome 血光之灾
- Do good this year
- Avoid dangerous situations like adventurous trips or extreme sports as much as possible
- Send your car for routine checkups
- Don’t take risk
- Avoid repair work or renovation as Tai Sui dislikes noise and commotion
Of course, these are just guidelines and remember…
It doesn’t matter whether you 破太岁 or 犯太岁 or 吃大便—your fate is always entirely in your own hands.
If you’re an evil man, no amount of praying is going to cleanse the sins within you.
So just take this with a pinch of salt. Or just treat it as a gathering with your friends or family members.
Featured Image: MatoomMi / Shutterstock.com