Boy Didn’t Chew Bubble Tea Pearls Properly Which Results In Intestinal Blockage

Latest Articles

Everything About the PSLE Results in 2020 Compared to 2019 When There Was No...

This year, everything was disrupted due to Covid-19. Students had to study from home, adults have to work from home...

7 COVID-19 Cases Today (25 Nov); All Are Imported Again

We’re exactly one month away from Christmas, and chances are if the number of daily cases remains the same...

M’sian Chose to Sleep on the Streets in S’pore Instead of Sharing a Room...

In November last year, the Lee Kuan Yew School Of Public Policy conducted a nationwide study to determine the...

Johor Gov Warns of COVID-19 Rise As the State Now Has 10 Active Clusters...

Can't wait for the JB-SG borders to open so you can go in for cheaper retail therapy and restaurants...

KFC S’pore Launching Shoyu Crunch Chicken Today (25 Nov) to ‘Bring’ Us to Japan

While air travel bubbles don't look like they're coming anytime soon, it's not stopping KFC Singapore from bringing us...

I’ve said it a thousand times and I’ll say it again, Bubble Tea is an addiction.

Contrary to popular belief, the addictive nature of boba isn’t from the tapioca pearls. Don’t believe me?

Read our article here and we’ll explain.

But the fact remains that the tapioca pearls are any certified bubble tea addict’s favourite.

It’s chewy and oh so sweet, but how many of us actually take the time to chew it thoroughly before swallowing?

Here’s a reminder of why we must remember to do so:

Boy Didn’t Chew Bubble Tea Pearls Properly Which Results In Intestinal Blockage

A 13-year-old boy from Henan was brought to the emergency room after he had “unbearable abdominal pain”.

He was promptly rushed for a check-up and an X-ray scan to figure out the cause of the pain.

It was then that they discovered that he had intestinal infarction, which means that his intestines were injured.

The doctor then said that he would need to go for an operation.

During the operation, they found two solid foreign bodies of different sizes that were lodged in his intestines.

These foreign bodies were deduced to be the cause of his intestinal infarction.

After the successful operation, the 13-year-old boy finally excreted the remaining foreign bodies in his intestines.

The Reason

Later, they realised that the boy had drunk multiple bubble teas within the week of the incident.

The boy also did not chew the pearls properly before swallowing, which may have led to the intestinal infarction.

Follow us on Telegram for more informative & easy-to-read articles, or download the Goody Feed app for articles you can't find on Facebook!

The doctor who treated the teenager explained that bubble tea pearls are made of tapioca starch and cornflour which are not easy to digest.

This is coupled with the use of thickening agents that are added to the pearls.

His advice? Control your intake of bubble tea for children and remember to chew your boba pearls properly before swallowing.

Let’s hope that the poor boy doesn’t face such a situation again and that he has learnt his lesson. For the rest of us, let this be a reminder.