SG Hitch is a Telegram channel that matches Drivers and Hitchers, for cheaper rides than regular ride-hailing apps like Grab or Gojek. It’s a huge plus for people who are looking for car rides at much lower prices, as well as drivers looking for extra cash to cover petrol costs on their way home.
The downside, however, is that the drivers are not vetted or rated – which is, honestly, a huge red flag.
This worry is clearly founded, as TikTok user @nicolett.ee posted a TikTok about her experience using Telegram’s SG Hitch. She was harassed over Telegram by a potential driver with the Telegram nickname “J”, who asked personal details about her identity after recognising her from TikTok.
They then offered to give her a free ride in exchange for a secret “hookup”, even after she told them she was attached.
After she told them she’ll pass, the person told her that they “get hard off” her “pics”, in addition to more crude and inappropriate (frankly, disgusting) texts.
What’s more insidious is that the user was not even in the same SG Hitch channel as she was, and the fact that he proceeded to make a new account to try to pick her up again.
Commenters on TikTok are generally sympathetic, and some even chimed in about their personal experiences with “J”, showing that it’s not an isolated incident.
As much as this is clearly rather concerning and dangerous, many commenters, as well as @nicolett.ee herself, have put forth the fact that their experience with SG Hitch on Telegram has largely been a positive one. @nicolett.ee has, however, chosen never to use SG Hitch again.
Some netizens have, unfortunately, taken to victim-blaming the user, blaming her for using SG Hitch instead of ride-hailing apps, or accusing her of sending the wrong signals by sending “HAHA” to “J”.
However, it’s ridiculous to police someone’s very normal behaviour (like choosing a more affordable ride-hailing option, or typing a certain way) to justify another’s harassment.
Either way, no matter what ride-hailing service you pick, do choose safety, caution and vigilance above all.
- Prices of Cars in S’pore Expected to Increase in the Coming Months
- Ex-NP Lecturer in Viral Racist Video Charged for Racist Remarks & Possession of 64 Obscene Films
- Almost 1,000 Pets Received Blessings from Monks & Nuns in Jalan Basar Temple During Vesak Day Eve
Featured Image: Tiktok (@nicolett.ee)
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- In 2024, HDB Households Might Finally be Able to Keep Up to 2 Cats Per Flat
- Massive Discounts at Four Star’s Year-End Sale: Everything at 50% Off & More from 6 Dec to 10 Dec
- Everything About the Smith Street Revamp, Whereby a Tenant Will Take Over Many Shops
- DBS Said Short Outage on 1 Dec Was Due to Many People Logging in to Check Their Balance
- Man Without Licence Drove GetGo Car at 123kmh By Using His Friend’s Account
- A Doctor Claims Blow-Drying Might Have Indirectly Caused Queenzy Cheng’s Death