Actress Erica Durance once said, “We all need to make time for a burger once in a while”.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is my favourite kind of quote.
From McDonald’s to Ramly Burger, there is no denying that the Western culture has a big influence on our little red dot. Take that and add a touch of our local roots, and voilà, you get Hambaobao.
Hambaobao: Innovative and Affordable
In this day and age, “good” and “cheap” don’t usually go together hand in hand. But it does in a stall located at Beauty World Hawker Centre.
Not your ordinary burger store, Hambaobao (which means hamburger in Chinese) serves burgers complete with a pleasant surprise because who doesn’t like a good zhng-ed burger?
Customers can choose from 5 burgers, all of which are less than S$6!
The Classic Beef
#BRB salivating at the generous thick beef patty.
What The Fish!
A fresh fish fillet which puts McDonald’s to shame.
Spiced Pulled Pork
If looks could kill, our Editor would have suffered a million deaths.
And not forgetting their best-sellers:
Crispy Pork Belly
According to netizen Gwen Cheng, this burger comes with crunchy pork which crackles with each bite. As if that isn’t enough, the sour yet bitter mustard fits the sweet and sour dressing to a T.
According to Instagram user @jess_thia, this burger was “bitter and spicy”, making it more suited for those who appreciate the bitter combination of Buah Keluak, minced chicken, white cabbage and Rempah (the spicy belacan taste) uncommon in Peranakan cuisine.
P.S. Note that the hand-cut fries do not come with the burger, they’re available for an additional amount of S$1.50.
Clare Ng, 27 and Ryan Wee, 30 have been running Hambaobao together since 2014 and are have recently become parents.
Clare used to be a nurse and Ryan, on the other hand, has a diploma in food science.
He gave up his job at a company which sells baby food to disrupt the local food industry.
Both of Peranakan descent, it’s no wonder how they ended up creating their one-of-a-kind Ayam Buah Kerluak Burger.
- Address:144 Upper Bukit Timah Rd, #04-49 Beauty World Centre, Singapore 588177
- Opening hours: Wednesday to Friday: 12pm – 7pm, Saturday: 12pm – 7:30pm. They do update their opening hours on Facebook regularly too.
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- K. Shanmugam & Michelle Chong Responded to ‘One-Sided’ ST Article About the Ah Lian Video
- Fellow Pink Dot Ambassador Called Out Tosh Rock For Lack of Responsibility
- S’pore Couple’s Super Atas Wedding Allegedly Cost About $1.4 Million
- Several Mobile Phone Shops in S’pore Declare Huawei Phones with ‘$0 Resale Value’
- Carrie Wong’s BF & Ian Fang Suddenly Make Peace After Public Spat on Instagram
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!