Last Updated on 2019-03-19 , 9:30 pm
Actress Erica Durance once said, “We all need to make time for a burger once in a while”.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is my favourite kind of quote.
From McDonald’s to Ramly Burger, there is no denying that the Western culture has a big influence on our little red dot. Take that and add a touch of our local roots, and voilà, you get Hambaobao.
Hambaobao: Innovative and Affordable
In this day and age, “good” and “cheap” don’t usually go together hand in hand. But it does in a stall located at Beauty World Hawker Centre.
Not your ordinary burger store, Hambaobao (which means hamburger in Chinese) serves burgers complete with a pleasant surprise because who doesn’t like a good zhng-ed burger?
Customers can choose from 5 burgers, all of which are less than S$6!
The Classic Beef
#BRB salivating at the generous thick beef patty.
What The Fish!
A fresh fish fillet which puts McDonald’s to shame.
Spiced Pulled Pork
If looks could kill, our Editor would have suffered a million deaths.
And not forgetting their best-sellers:
Crispy Pork Belly
According to netizen Gwen Cheng, this burger comes with crunchy pork which crackles with each bite. As if that isn’t enough, the sour yet bitter mustard fits the sweet and sour dressing to a T.
According to Instagram user @jess_thia, this burger was “bitter and spicy”, making it more suited for those who appreciate the bitter combination of Buah Keluak, minced chicken, white cabbage and Rempah (the spicy belacan taste) uncommon in Peranakan cuisine.
P.S. Note that the hand-cut fries do not come with the burger, they’re available for an additional amount of S$1.50.
Clare Ng, 27 and Ryan Wee, 30 have been running Hambaobao together since 2014 and are have recently become parents.
Clare used to be a nurse and Ryan, on the other hand, has a diploma in food science.
He gave up his job at a company which sells baby food to disrupt the local food industry.
Both of Peranakan descent, it’s no wonder how they ended up creating their one-of-a-kind Ayam Buah Kerluak Burger.
- Address:144 Upper Bukit Timah Rd, #04-49 Beauty World Centre, Singapore 588177
- Opening hours: Wednesday to Friday: 12pm – 7pm, Saturday: 12pm – 7:30pm. They do update their opening hours on Facebook regularly too.
Worker’s Party just agree with PAP on something, but there’s another reason why they did that. Watch this to the end and you’ll understand:
- Grab Might Be Buying Over foodpanda’s Singapore Business
- Some People in Uncle Raymond’s Dating Show Are from a Special Needs School
- Partners in Cai Png Empire Chang Cheng Suing Each Other in Court
- SKH Responds After Patient Claims He Has to Order Painkillers from foodpanda As His Request From the Nurse Took Too Long
- Elderly Who’s Dining Alone Tells Daughter on Phone He’s With Friends, Then Cries Alone in Restaurant