Where did Bak Kut Teh come from? The origins of this delectable dish have been in dispute for the longest time, and it seems nobody really knew. The most common explanation, however, was that Bak Kut Teh came from Klang, Malaysia.
Or, to put it more accurately, brought to Klang by a Chinese man from Fujian, China, which explains its Hokkien roots.
The man was named Lee Boon Teh, who served pork parts in various herbs and spices to Chinese immigrants who first came over to Malaya back in 1945. Back then, the dish was known as Bak Kut, or pork bone.
As the dish became more popular, Lee Boon Teh’s name became synonymous with the dish, and merged into one: Bak Kut Teh.
Today, residents of Klang remain proud of their very own original Bak Kut Teh, and firmly believe in the origin story. In fact, there are apparently more than a hundred Bak Kut Teh stalls in the town itself. The most famous of the lot, however, is still the stall originally owned by Lee Boon Teh, currently run by his grandson.
Did you know, there are three main versions of Bak Kut Teh? The version originating in Klang is a Hokkien version, more herbal and darker due to the addition of soy sauce. The version we know and love in Singapore is lighter and more peppery, with Teochew roots. The last one is Cantonese in origin, with a more robust and flavourful soup.
In fact, as the “Bak” in the name refers to meat in Hokkien, it is said that the Singaporean peppery version is a fusion of both Hokkien and Teochew influences, with a history stretching back to before WWII.
Perhaps the origin of Hokkien Bak Kut Teh truly lies in Klang, but it is undeniable that Klang is probably the best place for some Hokkien Bak Kut Teh.
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Clarke Quay Hotpot Restaurant Sells Rabbit Meat & As Expected, Netizens Started to Do Something About It
- Kurt Tay’s 31YO Prankster’s Way to Convince Kurt to Drop Police Case is As Childish as His Prank
- Japanese Sugar Baby ‘Luxury Mistress’ Matchmaking Service Comes to S'pore Without Much Resistance...Yet
- S’porean Shopper In JB Shocked to Know That The Money She Drew from ATM Were Fake
- 2 Men Arrested After Fighting Over A&W Seats At Jewel Changi Airport
- Media Makes Fun Of Gold Medalist Joseph Schooling For Putting On Weight At SEA Games