Singapore Lost 4-1 to China in Second Leg of Match in Tianjin Olympic Center Stadium


After Singapore’s 2-2 draw with China, some of us might just think that we might be holding the World Cup trophy in MetLife Stadium at New Jersey on 19 July 2026.

Last Thursday, Singapore hosted China in the first leg at the Singapore National Stadium for a match that was part of the 2026 FIFA World Cup and 2027 AFC Asian Cup qualifiers.

In football matches, two-legged ties are a common format where each team hosts one leg, with the winner determined by the aggregate score across both matches.

Playing the second leg at home provides a slight statistical advantage, and scoring an away goal in the first leg can be crucial due to the away goals rule.

In the first leg, China took an early lead in the 10th minute when Wu Lei scored an unmarked header after a good cross from Wang Shangyuan.

China then had a chance to double their lead from the penalty spot, but Singapore goalkeeper Hassan Sunny saved the attempt.

China did manage to make it 2-0 before halftime, with Wu Lei scoring again in added time, taking advantage of a chaotic clearance from the Singapore defense.

However, Singapore came out strongly in the second half. Substitutes Faris Ramli and Jacob Mahler were instrumental in the Singaporean comeback, with Faris scoring in the 53rd minute to make it 2-1, and Mahler equalizing in the 81st minute to make it 2-2.

The match ended in a 2-2 draw, with the Singapore team showing great resolve to overcome the two-goal deficit against their higher-ranked opponents, and with us thinking that if Edwin Tong can bring Taylor Swift to Singapore, then Edwin Tong can bring the World Cup to Singapore.

But alas; in the second leg, we had a reality check.

Singapore Lost 4-1 to China in Second Leg of Match in Tianjin Olympic Center Stadium

Yesterday (26 March 2024), Singapore faced China in the second leg of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.

We lost 4-1 to China.

The match took place at the Tianjin Olympic Center Stadium in China, with approximately 50,000 spectators in attendance.

China took an early lead with a goal by Wu Lei in the 21st minute, which was quickly equalized by Faris Ramli from Singapore.

Just as we think that history would repeat itself, a controversial second-half penalty awarded to China shifted the momentum in their favour, and then shit hits the fan: it then led to late goals from Wu Lei and Wei Shihao that secured their victory.

Overall, we lost the match, but win many new fans.


You can watch the highlights of the match here: