Last Updated on 2021-06-12 , 2:27 pm
We all LOVE instant noodles, or commonly known as ramen outside of Singapore. The yellow thing kept us alive during school, and kept us full during our working days. But can you eat ramen raw?
But before delving into the facts, here’s a “health warning”: instant noodles aren’t exactly BFF with health freaks. Here, check out a video we’re done on instant noodles (the sodium content is going to shock you)
(Do subscribe to our YouTube channel for more informative videos!)
Well, if you’ve watched the video in its entirety, you’ll know the facts about eating raw ramen noodles; if you’re a bookworm and prefer to read, here goes.
Can You Eat Ramen Raw?
Many of us would have heard of this before from our parents or grandparents: you must always cook your instant noodles, if not you’ll get diarrhea or die from eating it “raw”.
Okay, maybe it being fatal is a little exaggerated, but you get the idea.
Why the Ridout Road Colonial Houses Saga is Actually NOT a Saga:
When I was in the army going through my basic military training, the instructors were adamant about us having to cook our instant noodles before we eat them: anyone breaking the rules, according to him, would be punished.
It further made me believe that uncooked instant noodles aren’t healthy and eating them would have serious consequences.
But here’re the facts: yes, while it tastes relatively weird, it’s perfectly fine to eat it uncooked.
The reason is that instant noodles are essentially already cooked before packaging: you’re therefore just having it in a different way when you down it without boiling it.
Here’s a video showing the production of instant noodles, from raw materials to its packaged form:
Notice that it’s already cooked? So calling it “uncooked” is technically incorrect, but anyways.
Some people said that they’ll have diarrhea after eating it uncooked, but hey: don’t we all sometimes have diarrhea after downing a plate of laksa?
On Nissin Food’s website, they even have a FAQ catered to this. Here’s the question and answer.
Is it safe to eat the Top Ramen noodles without putting them in boiling water first?
Some people have found that they enjoy Top Ramen as a snack, much like potato chips. The noodles are broken up and eaten straight from the package or sprinkled on top of salads. Since the noodles are already cooked, it is totally safe to eat this way.
A few of us, usually the guys, have makan-ed it uncooked as well during NS, as soldiering has taught us to eat anything except humans. So far, everyone’s still alive, and we don’t remember having diarrhea after that (trust me, we’ll definitely remember if we’ve diarrhea during outfield).
But of course, all we can say is this: Cook the damn noodles. It just takes three minutes and you’ll have something nice instead of some raw biscuit-tasting food.
And oh, did you know that instant noodles manufacturers have deliberately ensured that cooking takes three minutes for a reason that only benefits them? There, told you to watch the video liao.
- 10 Facts About Instant Noodles, The Food That Has Saved Many Lives in S’pore
- Harvard Study Shows That Instant Noodles Are Worse for Women Than Men
Featured Image: NIPAPORN PANYACHAROEN / Shutterstock.com
- 5 Out of 7 Cubicles “Out of Order” at Female Toilet in Newly-Opened Napier MRT Station
- Yishun Elderly Sweeps Stagnant Water to Neighbour’s Front Door After Every Corridor Wash
- Grab Driver Asks Woman Not to Take Grab if She Cannot Afford to Pay ERP During Heated Argument
- S’pore Couple Allegedly Banned From Entering M’sia After Asking About Officer’s Passport Chopping
- Hundreds of Termites Found Hiding Below Raised Wood Floor in Innocent-Looking HDB Flat
- Never clean your air fryer again with this simple hack
- You can have freshly brewed bubble tea at 3am for cheap with this instant bubble tea
- Introducing the Future of Fast Food: Self-Heating Fries + Sauce from Shopee