“If you have to leave your drink unattended, don’t go back to drinking it.”
This was the one rule my parents insist on even till today. Like many Singaporeans, I have pretty much taken for granted the ‘safety’ Singapore is known for.
After all, we have gotten so accustomed to the assumption that nothing bad can really happen in Singapore. But what if we were to behave no different when we’re out of Singapore? Can we still assume that all will be well?
The answer, of course, is a big fat no. Regardless of where we are, we should always pay attention to our surroundings and er, our drinks.
Case in point?
It may seem a little comical that the woman is drinking out of a metal pail but I assure you, the situation is not the least bit funny. This is every party-goer’s worst nightmare come true.
The protagonist of a circulating video on social media was found shivering and given a pail of ice water to chug. Apparently, she was allegedly drugged prior to that. The drug caused her to feel extremely warm, such that she had to remove her clothes.
You can watch the video here:
Responding to the video, the spokesperson for the anti-drug agency in Thailand stated that the drug involved was Alprazolam.
Even though the abuse of the drug had been going on for a long time, it has intensified over the past few months. The spokesperson warns that the drug is currently in wide circulation at entertainment outlets in Thailand and that it is often used on women.
In fact, this isn’t the first time a person has been drugged with Alprazolam in Thailand.
According to Guang Ming Daily, the drug can cause dizziness, unconsciousness and short-term amnesia to its consumer when added to carbonated or alcoholic drinks. Even worse, an overdose could result in coordination problems, impaired reflexes and coma.
In addition, Alprazolam is highly addictive. When an individual weans off the drug, he or she is likely to suffer from a series of withdrawal symptoms. These include seizures, anxiety and depression.
And because I’m a naggy old lady at heart, I’m going to dish out some party safe advice that I’ve been given numerous times before.
Here are some of them:
- Stay close to friends that you trust. Make sure they know where you are at all times.
- Drink in moderation and stick to your limits.
- Plan how you’re going to get home beforehand.
- Don’t let others top up your drinks.
- Buy your own drink and watch the bartender make it.
Of course, sometimes things can go awry even if you’re cautious. But you can still choose to party safe so that your safety isn’t compromised that much.
It’s high time for us to be more alert to our partying environments. Whether you’re a man or a woman, don’t assume that you’re safe just because you can hold your liquor (or whatever it is you tell yourself just to boost your partying ego).
After all, there’s no telling what could happen. Your liquor might have some extra ingredients #justsaying
Enjoyed this article because it’s both informative and entertaining? If so, you should download the Goody Feed app so that you won’t miss out on any articles, as there are app-exclusive contents as well! Also, join our Telegram channel if you use Telegram often!
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Leaked Audio Recording of Chan Chun Sing is a ‘Betrayal of Trust’, Says The President of the Meeting
- G.E.M’s Music Video About Covid-19 Fighters is So Touching, It’s Been Viewed 1 Million Times in 2 Days
- People Are Making Police Reports About Online Store Selling Surgical Masks That Advertised on FB
- Guide to Cleaning Your Smartphone Correctly ‘Coz Authorities Said Must Keep Phone Clean
- COVID-19 S’porean Patient Describes His Experience; Says a Nurse Has a Pregnant Wife Waiting for Him at Home
- South Korea Now Has Nearly As Many COVID-19 Cases as S’pore Due to a Church Cluster, Too