Asian foods are confusing. At least to people of the west.
I mean, is Chicken Rendang supposed to be crispy?
And Ice Cream Sandwich is the most f**ked up sandwich ever.
Well, you get the gist of it.
But now, one more food has made it to the list.
The Dry Cuttlefish.
S’pore Chewing Gum Ban
In case you didn’t know, Singapore had a lot of laws that baffled foreigners. Such as our insistence on caning kids for drawing on spaces they shouldn’t have drawn in.
And, of course, the chewing gum ban.
Despite what most people believe, chewing gum on MRT doors isn’t the reason why it’s banned. Or, I should say, it’s not the only reason.
Chewing gums are disposed of in mailboxes, keyholes, and even lift buttons. Add in to the way the gums littered the ground and staircases and you’d get a vague idea of how much disruption this little stick of gum has caused.
You can read more about the entire history of chewing gum here.
But according to this US travel Facebook page, Singaporeans have found a way a new practice to replace the act of chewing gum.
“A Chewing Gum That Won’t Refresh Your Breath”
According to Tastemade’s video, Singaporeans are desperate to chew gums.
But because we couldn’t, we turned to this instead.
Grilled Cuttlefish Shreds.
And that it’s “weird” and “won’t freshen your breath”.
Here, you can watch their 45-seconds video below.
Now, you’d be thinking, that’s going to invite a lot of hoo-ha.
Especially with this last frame.
And you’ll be right.
Singaporeans are not amused.
One of the viewers took offence to the words used, as well as the last frame of the video.
However, Tastemade Video decided to explain why they thought chewing on grilled cuttlefish shreds was a replacement for chewing gums.
Not that their response has endeared them to the viewers.
Moral of the story?
Don’t mess with Singapore when it comes to our eating habits. Even the haters against Nas Daily wasn’t as united as it was during these types of food boo-boos.
Join our Telegram channel and you won't miss out on the most popular articles: https://t.me/goodyfeedsg
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Clarke Quay Hotpot Restaurant Sells Rabbit Meat & As Expected, Netizens Started to Do Something About It
- Kurt Tay’s 31YO Prankster’s Way to Convince Kurt to Drop Police Case is As Childish as His Prank
- Japanese Sugar Baby ‘Luxury Mistress’ Matchmaking Service Comes to S'pore Without Much Resistance...Yet
- S’porean Shopper In JB Shocked to Know That The Money She Drew from ATM Were Fake
- 2 Men Arrested After Fighting Over A&W Seats At Jewel Changi Airport
- Media Makes Fun Of Gold Medalist Joseph Schooling For Putting On Weight At SEA Games