When you need to get to places in a jiffy, what do you do? The first thing that comes to mind is probably to call a cab or open your Uber/Grab app. Given that most booking fares start from $3.30, this is not a cheap option. Enter Tribecar, a car-rental, car-sharing and chauffeur service all rolled into one.
Started by a family which runs Malaysian conglomerate Insas, the two month old company offers short-term car rental starting from $2 per hour. That’s even cheaper than the flag down fare of a cab! It currently has 23 cars–mainly Toyota Corolla Altis more than five years old–with 210 users who place a $100 deposit in order to rent cars from them.
The founders, Ms Thong Mei Chuen and her brother, Weng Sheng explained that they realised a group of people who needed ultra short-term car rentals were underserved here. These people may be parents who need to pick up or drop off their kids and do grocery shopping, or part-time drivers for Uber who wanted to earn some side income.
Its current fleet is parked at Housing Board areas such as Tiong Bahru, Bedok and Jurong. When its fleet grows to 200, hirers will no longer have to return the car to its original pickup point and can simply leave it at their destination. Another hirer in the vicinity will then pick up the car from there. Tribecar is aiming to have 500 cars by the end of this year and is looking to work with other car rental companies.
Tribecar has also developed a technology that allows hirers to access their cars via their smartphone. Gone are the days of stored-value cards and key boxes; all the hirers have to do is enter a phone PIN to unlock their rented car. All payments are also done via the company’s e-wallet account.
Enjoyed this article because it’s both informative and entertaining? If so, you should download the Goody Feed app so that you won’t miss out on any articles, as there are app-exclusive contents as well! Also, join our Telegram channel if you use Telegram often!
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Why S’pore Should Pay the Bills for All COVID-19 Patients, Including Foreigners or Even Martians
- G.E.M’s Music Video About Covid-19 Fighters is So Touching, It’s Been Viewed 1 Million Times in 2 Days
- More Info About Patient 31 in South Korea Emerges & People Are Now Calling Her ‘Crazy Ajumma’
- Guide to Cleaning Your Smartphone Correctly ‘Coz Authorities Said Must Keep Phone Clean
- 5 Facts About NCID Singapore (National Centre for Infectious Diseases), The Place Many People Haven’t Heard of Before COVID-19 Outbreak
- 2 Young Doctors From Hubei Died from COVID-19; Touching Interviews with Loved Ones Show Their Courage