Whether you’re young or old, bold or gold, you probably use WhatsApp as your primary messaging app.
Some proudly proclaim that they solely use Telegram or WeChat and boast about its superiority to WhatsApp, but the stats show that that little green app is still the most widely used.
According to Statista, WhatsApp is the most popular global mobile messenger app, followed by Facebook Messenger and WeChat.
However, this might soon change in November, as WhatsApp will suddenly stop working on some of our phones.
WhatsApp will Stop Working on 43 Smartphone Models This November
Nope, the world is not ending (some would say it has already ended).
In a bid to provide optimal service to its users, WhatsApp will not be available to a large number of old smartphone models from 1 Nov.
Specifically, phones with an operating system equal to or lower than iOS 9 for the iPhone and equal to or less than Android 4.0.3 will not be able to use WhatsApp in two months’ time.
This could mean that millions of users would suddenly be unable to see their messages or talk to their friends.
They could also lose access to all the photos they have received over the years from their loved ones.
WhatsApp explained that they are stopping support for older phones to make the app run more securely.
Here’s a list of all the phones affected, courtesy of the Khaleej Times:
- Apple – iPhone SE, 6S and 6S Plus
- Samsung – Galaxy Trend II, Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Trend Lite, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Xcover 2, and Galaxy Core
- LG – LG Lucid 2, Optimus F7, Optimus F5, Optimus L3 II Dual, Optimus F5, Optimus L5, Optimus L5 II, Optimus L5 Dual, Optimus L3 II, Optimus L7, Optimus L7 II Dual, Optimus L7 II, Optimus F6, Enact , Optimus L4 II Dual, Optimus F3, Optimus L4 II, Optimus L2 II, Optimus Nitro HD and 4X HD, and Optimus F3Q
- ZTE – ZTE Grand S Flex, ZTE V956, Grand Memo and Grand X Quad V987
- Huawei – Huawei Ascend G740, Ascend D1 Quad XL, Ascend P1 S, Ascend Mate, Ascend D Quad XL, and Ascend D2
- Sony – Sony Xperia Neo L, Sony Xperia Miro, and Xperia Arc S
- Others – Lenovo A820, HTC Desire 500, Alcatel One Touch Evo 7, Archos 53 Platinum, Faea F1, Caterpillar Cat B15, Wiko Cink Five, Wiko Darknight, UMi X2, and THL W8
I don’t know if you can tell, but that’s a lot of phones.
Just as it went back on its deadline for users to accept their new controversial data policy, it’ll be interesting to see if WhatsApp continues with this initiative, given how strongly people are bound to react to it.
If you are still puzzled by why others used WhatsApp so much, watch this heated debate and you may understand why:
- Telegram Chat Groups Are Used as an Online Illegal Drug Marketplace in S’pore
- Nude Man Wearing a Mask Seen Walking Around Buangkok Crescent
Featured Image: Eliseu Geisler / Shutterstock.com
Goody Feed might be getting a second lawyer’s letter due to this video. Here’s why: