At the time of writing, there have been over 1110 deaths due to the virus.
The situation is serious, yet much about the deadly virus remains unknown.
However, the latest new research by a team of Chinese scientists has suggested that the new coronavirus might have a long incubation period of up to 24 days.
Despite this possibility, the World Health Organisation (WHO) is not thinking of changing its recommended 14-day quarantine period at this point in time.
In the same vein, Singapore’s Health Ministry says that more evidence is required and that it’s hard to confirm from the paper if the outlier figure is due to an error or bias in the study’s methodology.
The Chinese Study was led by infectious diseases expert Zhong Nanshan.
It defined the incubation period as the duration of the transmission source to the onset of symptoms.
The study revealed that the median incubation period was three days based on the data of 1,099 patients from 552 hospitals in China.
The range of values was given as between zero and 24 days, however, it didn’t state how many patients experienced incubation periods at the top end of the range.
Dr Michael Ryan executive director of the WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme clarified that outliers need to be looked at very carefully.
“We’ve seen this in Ebola. We’ve seen very long incubation periods and then when we investigate, we find that there was a second exposure a week later, or two weeks later, and that’s when the actual infection occurred,” he said.
“There very often can be outliers, and they can be because of the recording of the exposure. We need to be really careful when we look at outlier figures.”
The Chinese study has been uploaded online but has yet to be peer-reviewed. This means that it should not be relied on to guide clinical practice or health-related behaviour.
To that end, the majority of the coronaviruses such as the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers) coronaviruses, have an incubation period of two to 14 days.
Enjoyed this article because it’s both informative and entertaining? If so, you should download the Goody Feed app so that you won’t miss out on any articles, as there are app-exclusive contents as well! Also, join our Telegram channel if you use Telegram often!
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Leaked Audio Recording of Chan Chun Sing is a ‘Betrayal of Trust’, Says The President of the Meeting
- G.E.M’s Music Video About Covid-19 Fighters is So Touching, It’s Been Viewed 1 Million Times in 2 Days
- People Are Making Police Reports About Online Store Selling Surgical Masks That Advertised on FB
- Guide to Cleaning Your Smartphone Correctly ‘Coz Authorities Said Must Keep Phone Clean
- COVID-19 S’porean Patient Describes His Experience; Says a Nurse Has a Pregnant Wife Waiting for Him at Home
- South Korea Now Has Nearly As Many COVID-19 Cases as S’pore Due to a Church Cluster, Too