We’ve all at least felt like this once in our life. You feel a sneeze coming on but no matter how long you wait, it never came out.
And to top it off, it’s damn uncomfortable as well. The sensation before a sneeze is uncomfortable and when it lingers, it’s going to spoil your day.
A couple of tricks to make yourself sneeze
And this phenomenon is pretty common in people. So common that if you were to Google, what to do if you feel like sneezing but cannot sneeze, you’re going to get a lot of results.
From tickling your nose to sniffing spices and eating peppermint gums, there are countless tricks out there that will help you get that irritating sneeze out of your system.
But there’s one trick we use that never, ever failed. At least for us, that is.
Look into a bright light
Some of us have what is called the photic sneeze reflex. When you suddenly look at a bright light source, you’ll trigger that reflex and sneeze.
To check if you possess this reflex, here’s what you got to do. First, close your eyes and make sure you’re in total darkness. Then, look at a light source and switch it on. If you sneeze, congratulations, you got one easy way to make yourself sneeze!
How it works
The nerve that controls sneezing is called the trigeminal nerve and it runs alongside the optic nerve. When you over trigger the optic nerve (by suddenly subjecting yourself to a bright light source), chances are you’ll trigger the trigeminal nerve and cause sneezing.
If you’re outside, simply close your eyes and use your hand to ensure no light enters the optic nerves for a minute or two. Open your eyes and sneeze. Just make sure you don’t look directly at the sun as it might just damage your eyes.
Try this trick and let us know if it works for you!
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
Love this lifehack? Wait till you see our other lifehack articles:
- The Japanese Invented This Crazy 1-Minute Trick That Stops You From Being Lazy
- Young Families Must Know about this Hack That Cut Household Essentials Expenses by 50%
- The Ultimate Hack to Find a Parking Lot in a Full Car Park in S’pore
This article was first published on goodyfeed.com
Feature Image: antpkr / Shutterstock.com
Latest posts by Boon Hun (see all)
- Deer Walked Onto BKE & Caused a 3-Vehicle Accident: 6 Topics S’poreans Talked About Today (17 Jun) - June 17, 2018
- Llaollao is Back in S’pore Today & Plans to Have Another Outlet in Tampines End-June: 6 Topics S’poreans Talked About Today (16 Jun) - June 16, 2018
- S’pore Kid Got Beaten Up by Father for Homework Mistakes & Was Hospitalized: 6 Topics S’poreans Talked About Today (15 Jun) - June 15, 2018