If there were ever two phone brands we’d say we genuinely care about, it’d have to be Apple and Samsung. I mean, it’s not like we’re forgetting Nokia and all, it’s just that it just started getting its mojo back.
What do we really know about Samsung, apart from its universal brand name? Here are 10 things you’ve probably never heard about the company, until today!
1. The Donor
Yup, bet you didn’t know that Samsung is so generous as to give away US$10 MILLION per annum to its non-profit medical centre, which runs at a huge staff number of 2,300 nurses and 1,200 doctors.
Now that’s a good company.
2. They Own South Korea’s Biggest Theme Park
Known as Everland, this theme park includes entertainment like Panda World, Horror Maze, Robot VR, Wonder Ferris Wheel VR and a Magic Cookie House. It’s owned by Samsung Construction & Trading.
3. Logo Has Only Changed Thrice
Yep, you read that right. From the time Samsung Electronics was founded, the logo has only changed a total number of three times. If it already looks good, why change it again, huh?
4. About the SGR-A1 Robot
Imagine, Samsung Techwin created a robot that can not only identify a target automatically but also shoot it from a distance of 3.2km! There’s also K9 Thunder, a tank that can project up to 40km away. Don’t play play ah.
5. Samsung Built Burj Khalifa
And they didn’t stop there. Two other super-tall skyscrapers were also built by Samsung’s Construction Division – Taipei 101 and Malaysia’s Petronas Twin Towers (while they were the primary constructor).
6. Samsung Digital City
Feast your eyes on this. The Samsung Digital City sits on a huge 389-acres land, and comes with 3 tall buildings as well as 131 small buildings. At least 35,000 people come to work there every weekday. Crazy ha?
7. Samsung Builds Ships Too
It has its very own ship-building centre which is 400,000,000 square feet. Too big a figure to compute? Well, think of a space the size of 5,204 football fields.
And to think that they build more than 30 large ships every single year!
8. AMOLED Display Market Share
Samsung owns the AMOLED display market – As at 2015, they had 95.8% in their hands.
9. Biggest Spenders for Retail And Development
In 2015, the company spent US$14.1 billion for this purpose. Google came at US$9.8 billion, and Apple at US$6 billion.
10. Founded in 1938
The huge company was founded by Lee Byung-chul. At that point, he and his family were into selling groceries and noodles. They then ventured off to securities, insurance and retail businesses in the 1950s. The first ever product introduced by Samsung Electronics was a 12-inch Black and White TV in 1970.
If you think about it, it doesn’t matter where you’re from. If you have the drive and the dream, you can make it big. Just like the grocery shop owner from Samsung. I mean, who knew?
Enjoyed this article because it’s both informative and entertaining? If so, you should download the Goody Feed app so that you won’t miss out on any articles, as there are app-exclusive contents as well! Also, join our Telegram channel if you use Telegram often!
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Why S’pore Should Pay the Bills for All COVID-19 Patients, Including Foreigners or Even Martians
- G.E.M’s Music Video About Covid-19 Fighters is So Touching, It’s Been Viewed 1 Million Times in 2 Days
- More Info About Patient 31 in South Korea Emerges & People Are Now Calling Her ‘Crazy Ajumma’
- Guide to Cleaning Your Smartphone Correctly ‘Coz Authorities Said Must Keep Phone Clean
- 5 Facts About NCID Singapore (National Centre for Infectious Diseases), The Place Many People Haven’t Heard of Before COVID-19 Outbreak
- 2 Young Doctors From Hubei Died from COVID-19; Touching Interviews with Loved Ones Show Their Courage