Last week, 22 food handlers were caught during a surprise raid at Geylang Serai Bazaar. The raid caught many customers by surprise as they all thought that it was due to halal issues with a particular jerky stall.
However, just yesterday, 9 more illegal workers from Indonesia were arrested in another surprise raid.
Unlike the bazaar last year, this year’s bazaar has been on the headlines for all the wrong reasons: there’s an issue on some stalls’ Halal certification, arrest of illegal workers, rumours of cat and dog meat and even an injury.
According to an article on Channel NewsAsia, the latest raid was a joint enforcement operation among the National Environment Agency, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and the Singapore Police Force.
These illegal workers were working at various stalls at the Geylang Serai Bazaar. Also, such raids are not uncommon as they always strive to educate and remind the bazaar operators and stall owners to comply with the regulatory requirements of various agencies.
These foreigners who are caught can be fined up to S$20,000 and given up to two years’ jail. They could also be barred from entering and working in Singapore.
On the other hand, employers who illegally employ foreigners also face a fine of up to S$30,000 and a jail term of up to one year, and may be barred from hiring foreign workers.
With incidents like these, it’s always good to remember that no matter what, the law will always have an edge in Singapore.
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
This article was first published on goodyfeed.com
Featured Image: ArtOlympic / Shutterstock.com
- Everything About the 22 Unlicensed Food Handlers Arrested in Geylang Serai Bazaar In 30 Sec
- Things You Really Shouldn’t Miss in Geylang Serai Ramadan Bazaar 2017!
- NUS Study Shows Parents Who Has More Self-Control & Less Financial Stress Have Children Who are Stronger Mentally
- Wendy’s Cancelled Surge Pricing Plan; Here’s What It Is & Why It Could Really Happen
- Guide to How to Change from Your SimplyGo Cards to the Old EZ-Link Cards
- Everyone is Talking About CPF Special Account. Here’s What It Is.
- Lawrence Wong: No Further Need for GST Hike Up to 2030
- Singapore’s Total Fertility Rate Hits Record Low, Falling Below 1 for the First Time
- Why Hotel Rates in Johor is Set to Increase from 1 March 2024