On 13 May 2022, a tragedy broke out at Bedok North Ave 2.
An HDB fire that broke out in the early morning resulted in three deaths, including a 3-year-old toddler.
Here are xx facts about the Bedok HDB Fire that killed three people.
1. What Happened
The fatal fire broke out at an HDB flat located at Blk 409 Bedok North Ave 2.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was alerted to the fire at 6:35 am.
Sixty people were evacuated from neighbouring units as a precaution, SCDF revealed.
2. Four People Found Unconscious in Affected Flat
Four people were found unconscious in the affected flat; a 56-year-old woman was found in the living room while a 35-year-old man, a 34-year-old woman and a 3-year-old toddler were found in the bedroom.
Why the Ridout Road Colonial Houses Saga is Actually NOT a Saga:
3. Three Deaths, Including a Three-Year-Old Toddler
The 56-year-old woman was pronounced dead on the scene. CPR was performed on two of the three people found in the bedroom.
The other three were conveyed to Changi General Hospital; unfortunately, the 35-year-old man and the 3-year-old toddler died at the hospital.
4. Combustible Clutter
According to the SCDF, the fire involved “the contents of the living room”, which was put out by a water jet.
Because the bedroom was equally cluttered, firefighters had to force their way in to conduct rescue operations.
5. Rescued Another Three in the Adjacent Unit
The affected unit wasn’t the only household which requires rescuing.
Firefighters also had to force their way into the adjacent unit, rescuing three people.
These individuals were then assessed for minor injuries but decided not to be sent to the hospital.
6. A Close Shave For Neighbours
Ms Ng Xin Hui, a neighbour, spoke to TODAY about her harrowing experience in the incident.
Her father was the first to discover the fire.
He had opened the door and was shocked to see massive flames engulf the flat across from them.
He rushed back into the room to wake her up; her mother, who was showering then, quickly got dressed as well.
“It was super scary and (the fire) felt a lot nearer to us than it was, so we thought we couldn’t escape.”
It was only after a neighbour banged on their door and urged them to escape before they took their phones and escaped via the stairwell, narrowly escaping the flames.
7. A Mysterious Hero
Another neighbour, Willie Toh, was leaving his house for work when he heard shouts for help from the affected unit.
He received a key from a tenant within the unit which he used to open the main door. He then shouted a few times for the residents within to come out before returning home to help his mother.
A young man helped carry his mother down from the fourth floor, he said.
He wasn’t the only one either as a young man also helped Royston Tan’s mother who stayed on the fifth floor.
His identity wasn’t known but it was said that the young man had helped evacuate at least three residents.
8. Most Allowed To Return Home By Mid-Day
According to East Coast GRC MP Tan Kiat How, most residents were allowed to return home by mid-day.
Several residents were “still shaken” by the incident, with some having trouble falling asleep.
Water and electricity were restored to the block and alternative accommodations were arranged for families whose homes were more severely damaged by the fire.
It was added that the mother is still in critical condition.
You can read his Facebook in full below:
9. Female Homeowner Previously Overcame Cancer
Before her death, Zeng Ailing, 56, was a part-time marketer in construction.
In a 2020 Lianhe Zaobao interview, Zeng said that she had high blood pressure in 2006, then diabetes, hypothyroidism, cirrhosis, and intestinal and breast cancer.
In 2011, she also developed psoriasis, a chronic condition which caused red spots on her legs which then spread to her body, back and forehead.
During the interview, she detailed how she had undergone a new drug treatment for psoriasis.
According to her family, she was afflicted with sickness but still carried a positive attitude towards life.
10. Tenants Recently Brought Daughter To Singapore
Zeng has been staying at the unit for nearly ten years with her boyfriend of more than ten years.
Her family were unaware that she had rented her room to a family of three from Malaysia until after the incident happened.
The tenants were reportedly a family of three from Malaysia and their daughter was recently brought to Singapore.
Meanwhile, her boyfriend was spotted crying bitterly at the void deck.
It was added that Zeng does not have the habit of hoarding sundries; it was unknown, however, if the family or her boyfriend does.
Investigations into the cause of the fire are ongoing.
- Police Investigating After Video of Woman Kicking Boy in Boon Keng Went Viral
- Neighbour’s Music is So Loud at 3am, It Sounds Like a Disco in a Woodlands HDB Flat
- North Korea Confirms First COVID-19 Death & Reports 350K People With Fever Symptoms
Feature Image: Facebook (SCDF)
- 5 Out of 7 Cubicles “Out of Order” at Female Toilet in Newly-Opened Napier MRT Station
- Yishun Elderly Sweeps Stagnant Water to Neighbour’s Front Door After Every Corridor Wash
- Grab Driver Asks Woman Not to Take Grab if She Cannot Afford to Pay ERP During Heated Argument
- S’pore Couple Allegedly Banned From Entering M’sia After Asking About Officer’s Passport Chopping
- Hundreds of Termites Found Hiding Below Raised Wood Floor in Innocent-Looking HDB Flat
- Never clean your air fryer again with this simple hack
- You can have freshly brewed bubble tea at 3am for cheap with this instant bubble tea
- Introducing the Future of Fast Food: Self-Heating Fries + Sauce from Shopee