If you think that the Olympics are just about sporting events, you’re clearly wrong.
Apparently, the Olympics can also be used to delay a war.
Chinese Officials Allegedly Asked Russia to Delay the War
According to The New York Times, senior Russian officials were told by the Chinese to postpone their invasion of Ukraine until the Winter Olympics in Beijing ended.
Before you ask, “Really meh?”, this claim was put out by Biden administration officials and a European official who cited a Western intelligence report.
According to the report, senior Chinese officials apparently knew some information regarding Russia’s preparations to invade Ukraine prior to the actual invasion.
Additionally, Reuters also backed this claim, saying that an anonymous source had verified the fact that China indeed did so. However, this source did not want to be named and did not offer any other details due to the sensitive nature of this issue.
I mean, China can’t admit it lah, right?
So to no one’s surprise, China refuted the claims.
Mr Liu Pengyu, a spokesman for the Chinese embassy in Washington, even said, “The claims mentioned in the relevant reports are speculations without any basis, and are intended to blame-shift and smear China.”
Although the Times mentioned that the intelligence report regarding the Chinese and Russian officials was “was collected by a Western intelligence service and is considered credible by officials reviewing it”, one official of the publication brought up a different view.
The official opined that the report did not explicitly state that there were such exchanges regarding China requesting Russia to delay their attack on Ukraine, at least not on a level between Chinese and Russian Presidents Xi Jinping and Valdimir Putin.
The Times also added that the report was circulated to facilitate dialogue regarding the possible times where Putin would invade Ukraine. However, intelligence services had varying opinions regarding this matter.
It is also unclear as to how the details were leaked.
- Popular S’pore Pools Outlet That Has Sold 10 Toto Jackpot Tickets Since Its Opening Shifting to New Location
- NSmen Who Complete NS Milestones Will Get $2,000 in Cash
- Russia Restaurant in S’pore Donating 10% of Sales from Delivery to Ukraine
- Manpower Minister Told Employees to Report to MOM If Employers Insist on an MC for COVID-19 Infections
- Russia Embassy in S’pore Responds to S’pore’s Sanctions; Says It Runs Against the ‘Friendly Relations’
Featured Image: Zerbor / Shutterstock.com
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- It Turns Out That Google’s Impressive Gemini AI Video Demo is “Fake”
- 69YO Man Dies After His PMA Collided With a Motorcycle in Jurong West
- Man Who’s Caught Force-Opening MRT Doors Charged; Had Also Kicked Someone Before
- Serangoon Coffeeshop Reportedly Going to be Sold for a Whopping $40.5 Million
- Tabby Cat Went Viral After “Finishing First” in China Half Marathon
- Sa Sa is Back in Singapore, With Its First Store in Jurong Point & More to Come
- New Facebook Scam Alert: Cheap “Suitcases from SIA” Are Fake