Last Updated on 2020-11-24 , 8:51 am
Well, I’m pretty sure most of you have bought a new shirt or two.
And I’m sure some of you can’t wait to put on those pretty clothes—after all, clothes are meant to be worn, right?
Sure, sure. But make sure to wash your clothes before—
What do you mean by “There’s no need to”?
Umm, I don’t know how to break this to you, but have you considered how dirty your new clothes might be?
Well, according to Donald Belsito, a professor of dermatology at Columbia University Medical Center, you probably should wash them before wearing them.
That is, unless, you’re a fan of diseases, rashes and bug bites.
Hygiene aside, wearing unwashed clothes can also lead to a series of health complications.
“I have seen cases of lice that were possibly transmitted from trying on in the store, and there are certain infectious diseases that can be passed on through clothing,” said professor Donald Belsito. “The other infestation I’ve seen from clothing is scabies.”
And that’s not all. There is also the possibility that wearing unwashed new clothes can lead to skin irritation and fungus infections.
Oh and, for those of you who shop online like me— we’re not in the clear either. You see, you’ll never know how many people have touched your new clothes from the manufacturing process to the packaging phase.
As long as one of them has, say, lice or something, chances are that very shirt you’re holding right now is already a breeding ground for these bugs.
And even if the hands that handle your clothes are clean, you still have to take into consideration the chemicals present in new clothes which may hurt your skin.
New clothes usually have chemicals and preservatives keeping them fresh during shipping (Hey, that might just be what the “new clothes smell” is), and you wouldn’t want those chemicals touching your skin!
Featured Image: Ariwasabi / Shutterstock.com
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- In 2024, HDB Households Might Finally be Able to Keep Up to 2 Cats Per Flat
- Massive Discounts at Four Star’s Year-End Sale: Everything at 50% Off & More from 6 Dec to 10 Dec
- Everything About the Smith Street Revamp, Whereby a Tenant Will Take Over Many Shops
- DBS Said Short Outage on 1 Dec Was Due to Many People Logging in to Check Their Balance
- Man Without Licence Drove GetGo Car at 123kmh By Using His Friend’s Account
- A Doctor Claims Blow-Drying Might Have Indirectly Caused Queenzy Cheng’s Death