Donald Trump, 76, has officially announced that he will be running for president in 2024 in an hour-long speech. He is the first president in the United States to be impeached twice.
He will be going up against Joe Biden, 80, in 2024.
If Donald Trump wins the election, he will start his term in January 2025, meaning he will be about 79 years old—the oldest President to enter the White House.
Reasons for Running for Presidency Again
As we all know, Donald Trump refused to accept that he lost the previous election, hence he wants a rematch.
During his speech, there was a large crowd who waved their phone and they were likely his long-term supporters.
“Two years ago, we were a great nation and soon we will be a great nation again,” he said.
He also said he would change some rules. This includes pushing for the death penalty for drug dealers (copycat?), term limits for lawmakers, and rehiring members of the military who had been dismissed for not getting the COVID-19 vaccine.
“We are a nation in decline. We are a failing nation for millions of Americans,” Trump said in a speech at his private Florida club.
“I will ensure Joe Biden does not receive four more years,” he added.
Mike Pence Would Not Return as His Running Mate
Mike Pence was the 48th vice-president of the United States from 2017 to 2021 under President Donald Trump.
However, this time, Trump he would not return as his running mate. Trump lambasted Pence for not overturning the electoral college results and sympathised with rioters chanting for his hanging and has never checked on his well-being.
Pence’s response to Trump’s announcement? “I really do believe we’ll have better choices.”
Wow, the burn.
Many Americans Have A Negative View Towards Him
A poll shows that 47% of Americans have a very negative view of Trump.
Most of them think that he should be charged with a crime for encouraging his supporters to march on the Capitol, causing a riot that injured over 100 police officers and disrupted the ceremonial counting of electoral votes.
In addition, he frequently attacks political rivals, judges, reporters and made racist remarks frequently. He also mocked people with disabilities, looked down on developing countries and bragged about sexual assault.
Trump has Some Advantages This Time
Despite his disadvantages, he also has some advantages. He could route to a super PAC (independent expenditure-only political committees) to support his candidacy without direct coordination.
He can also benefit from the databases of donors that his old group built up and he remains the party’s best fundraiser. Let’s not forget the fact that he actually has his own fanbase too.
In the AP VoteCast exit polls, 66% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said they considered themselves to be supporters of the Make America Great Again movement.
Recap of the 2020 Election Results and how the Election Works
It has been two years since the previous election in 2020, so here is a recap of how the voting results went.
The vote was 306 for Biden to 232 for Trump, defeating him in the Electoral College.
In the United States, when American citizens vote, they are not voting directly for their president.
What they are voting for is who their state votes for. This system in which they select their presidents is termed the “Electoral College”.
Apart from the Electoral College results, American citizens will also have a view of the popular vote. In a popular vote, the candidate who gets the most votes nationwide is said to have won the popular vote.
If you’ve 3 votes and your friend has 2 votes, you win the popular vote.
The US Presidential Election, however, do not consider the Popular Vote into the equation.
Hence, if a candidate loses to another by a meagre 1% of voters, they lose 100% of the electoral votes.
If a state has 3 electoral votes and Trump gets 4,000,001 votes while Biden gets 4,000,000 votes, Trump will still get the 3 electoral votes.
- Jurong Bird Park Having $10 Admission Tickets Until Its Closure on 3 Jan
- You Can Now Donate Money Easily By Tapping Your EZ-Link Cards in Some MRT Stations
- NATO Might Now Be Involved in the Russia-Ukraine War After Russian Missile Kills 2 in Poland
- S’pore Fugitive Who Committed Robbery in 1981 Finally Sentenced to 18 Years’ Jail
- Man Sentenced to Jail for Getting Another Man to Help Him Take His Driving Final Theory Test
Featured Image: The Washington Post
- Now That The Budget 2024 Statement is Out, Here’s What to Expect in the Next Few Weeks
- S’pore Address Rumours That We Pay Millions So Taylor Swift Won’t Perform in Other Southeast Asia Countries for Her Tour
- Chinese Actress Came Back from Vacation to Her House Burglarised With All Valuables Gone
- Everything About the Changes in CPF That Were Mentioned During Budget 2024
- Aide Dismisses Claims That M’sia Ex-PM Mahathir is in Critical Condition
- You Can’t Take Chickens from The Road to Cook It; NParks Now Investigating Man Who Caught Wild Chicken at Pasir Ris
- ECDA Completed Assessment of Kinderland Saga; Licence Tenures Limit in 2 Centres to Continue