Think you’ve got a bad boss? You haven’t seen the worst of it yet. In yet another bizarre workplace practice in China, a company in Chongqing has decided to engage in a new type of punishment – forcing their employees to choke down bitter gourd in front of their co-workers.
The company is said to make bulk orders of bitter gourds at 2.5 yuan per kg, and reserves them for employees only. But they don’t just get regular, everyday squashes – they pick out the largest and most bitter ones available on the market to bring about the most suffering to the “lazy” employees.
Apparently, this isn’t the first time the corporation has imposed mandatory punishments on staff who fail to meet targets. They were previously forced into doing rounds of squats, push-ups, and sprints around the office, before some of the bosses complained that employees had grown too accustomed to these punishments.
Which led them to come up with something more gruelling – this.
The punishment may have pushed some employees to work harder, but it’s also driven many of them out the door, with half of the new recruits deciding to quit. An employee gave a list of reasons for why people made the decision to leave: incapability to meet expectations, high pressure, low pay, and shame due to being punished in front of co-workers.
Many Chinese employees are proud of their ability to chi ku (吃苦), a Chinese expression that directly translates to “eating bitterness”, but perhaps the guys over at Leshang Corporation took it a little too seriously.
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
This post was first published on goodyfeed.com
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Clarke Quay Hotpot Restaurant Sells Rabbit Meat & As Expected, Netizens Started to Do Something About It
- Kurt Tay’s 31YO Prankster’s Way to Convince Kurt to Drop Police Case is As Childish as His Prank
- Japanese Sugar Baby ‘Luxury Mistress’ Matchmaking Service Comes to S'pore Without Much Resistance...Yet
- S’porean Shopper In JB Shocked to Know That The Money She Drew from ATM Were Fake
- 2 Men Arrested After Fighting Over A&W Seats At Jewel Changi Airport
- Media Makes Fun Of Gold Medalist Joseph Schooling For Putting On Weight At SEA Games