Unless you’ve been living in a cave, you probably know about the Sri Lanka situation.
If not, here’s a summary: the island country in South Asia is currently in its worst economic crisis, and people aren’t happy with the Government— in particular, its president, 73-year-old Gotabaya Rajapaksa. The crisis has been ongoing since 2019, and it got worse due to COVID-19.
There had been protests in the country, but shit finally hit the fan last week when protestors managed to break into government buildings and even into Rajapaksa’s residence.
He fled his official residence and last weekend, he said that he was going to resign.
Initially, it was unknown where he had gone to, but yesterday, it was reported that he was in Maldives after he was reportedly being blocked from leaving his own country by his own immigration staff.
Some Maldivians protested as well, urging their government to send Rajapaksa back to Sri Lanka.
And it leads to today.
Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa Fleeing to S’pore Via Private Aircraft After Security Concerns in SIA Flight
Initially, Rajapaksa’s plan was to board a Singapore Airlines flight this morning (14 July) to Singapore from Maldives.
Yup, one can only wonder if any of us would head to Hong Lim Park.
It was reported that once he was in Singapore, he would officially send in his resignation.
However, a later report started that Rajapaksa and his wife did not depart for Singapore on a scheduled Singapore Airlines flight from the Maldives capital of Male.
Instead, they would be taking a private plane to Singapore. It’s unknown when the plane will fly—or if it has landed here in Singapore.
According to sources from Maldives, they had changed their plan “due to security concerns”.
But that’s not all: another report later stated that a private plane has landed in Male for his flight, but he had allegedly left the country via a Saudi airlines flight.
Which begs the question: Where’s Rajapaksa? Is he in Singapore?
Well, at least now we know that Boris Johnson is a rather brave soul after all.
- Man Who Graduated from NUS With Honours Used to be Rejected by ITE
- Mister Donut Coming to Jurong Point for a Month from 15 July
- Founders of Three Arrows Capital, Zhu Su and Kyle Livingstone Davies, Allegedly Fled Singapore
Featured Image: Nikkei Asia
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- Revisiting the Cat Ban in Singapore: Why Some of the HDB Reasons to Ban Cats Don’t Make Sense
- Why People Are Talking About a Woodlands Void Deck That’s Been “Sealed Off”
- 34YO Woman & 3-Week-Old Infant Found Dead at Foot of Ghim Moh HDB Flat; Second Such Incident in a Month
- Popular Tian Tian Lai Nasi Lemak Has Closed Down After 22 Years
- 10 Places to Experience Snow This Christmas in Singapore
- Police Investigating “Man in Woman’s Dress” Who Force Opens MRT Train Door & Lies At Station
- In 2024, HDB Households Might Finally be Able to Keep Up to 2 Cats Per Flat