Father Accused of Greenridge Crescent Murder Remanded for Psychiatric Observation


Timeline of the Greenridge Crescent Murder Case

On 21 January, Friday evening, Ashton and Ethan Yap, two eleven-year-old boys were found lying motionless in the covered canal near the Greenridge Crescent playground at Toh Yi, Upper Bukit Timah.

The police had been alerted to their unnatural deaths due to a call from the twins’ father at 6:25pm.

When the police and paramedics arrived 20 minutes later, the boys were pronounced dead at the scene.

The father, Xavier Yap Jung Houn, was charged on 22 January for the murder of one of his sons, Ethan Yap E Cherm, between 4:23pm and 6:25pm at the canal.

Yap first stood trial before the district court on 24 January, and the judge granted the persecutors permission to remand the case for a week so that the investigative officers could bring Xavier Yap back to the crime scene for further investigation and recovery of additional evidence.

Although Yap was expected to appear before court again on Monday (31 Jan), the case was brought forward by two days. The second court hearing has already occurred on 29 January.

However, the case has been remanded again as Xavier Yap is due for a psychiatric observation at the Changi Complex Medical Centre.  

Thus far, the 48-year-old father has only been held accountable for the death of one son.

Meanwhile, the cause of Ashton Yap Kai Shern’s death remains undisclosed.

It can be understood that Ashton Yap’s case will be tendered in the later hearings.

The case has been adjourned to 18 February.

Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at https://t.me/goodyfeedsg or download the Goody Feed app here: https://goodyfeed.com/app/

Further Scene Investigations

Last Thursday (27 Jan) at around 3pm, Yap was seen handcuffed and ankle-cuffed, in addition to being accompanied by a group of five police officers.

The crime scene had been cordoned off ever since the case commenced.

During the entire process, officers were witnessed marking the area with several arrows.

One of the markers was placed next to the exercise machine adjacent to the playground, another was drawn in the canal, while the last arrow pointed towards the stairs leading down to the canal.

Image: facebook.com (CNA)
Image: Google Maps

According to some witnesses and camera footage, Yap was seen pausing for a moment when he caught a glimpse of the offerings and flowers that lined the canal railings. 

Afterwards, Yap changed into knee-high boots and stepped into the canal with the police officers, walking along the stretch of concrete until they were out of sight. 

Reportedly, the accused and the police stayed in the area for nearly 35 minutes before departing in a van.

Investigative officers remained at scene until 5pm, before the cordon tapes were eventually taken off.

If Yap is convicted of murder, he could be sentenced to death under Section 302(1) of the Penal Code.


Read Also:

Featured Image: Facebook (Lianhe Zaobao)