Located in Pulau Ubin, Tanjong Chek Jawa or commonly known as Chek Jawa, is a 100-hectare wetland. Chek Jawa is also among the last few places left with a natural rocky shore. Known as one of Singapore’s richest ecosystems, Chek Jawa includes 6 ecosystems that can be observed including a diverse array of animals.
Similar to Sentosa, Chek Jawa offers visitors several beaches–sandy beach, rocky beach, seagrass lagoon, coral rubble, mangroves and coastal forest.
This wetland has stayed a secret hidden gem from locals for centuries and the natural attractions were only gradually discovered when the area was slated for development in 2000. Plans for redevelopment were halted when people started to visit and realized what they had missed out on.
The 1.1km boardwalk along the coast provides a scenic view of mother nature and its inhabitants. Activities you can partake in when you’re there include cycling and exploring the different beaches and coastal walks. Pack some food with you so you can enjoy a small picnic while strolling along the scenic beaches of Chek Jawa and immerse yourself in the wonders of nature away from the bustling city life.
Chek Jawa is open to visitors from 8.30am to 6pm so you can visit on a day trip with family or friends. There are D.I.Y tours of Chek Jawa for visitors and amenities include a visitor centre, a viewing jetty, the coastal boardwalk, and a 20-metre tall Jejawi tower. Because it’s not particularly popular or known as a tourist attraction, you can enjoy the peace and serenity of this place without having to fight with the crowds.
Be sure to check out the tides before you visit to avoid disappointment. Getting to Chek Jawa is pretty easy, you can hire a van or rent a bicycle from the main village upon your arrival at Pulau Ubin. If you wish to walk, it will take around 40mins to reach this hidden gem.
Top Image: yeeshyan / Shutterstock.com
Enjoyed this article because it’s both informative and entertaining? If so, you should download the Goody Feed app so that you won’t miss out on any articles, as there are app-exclusive contents as well! Also, join our Telegram channel if you use Telegram often!
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- Why S’pore Should Pay the Bills for All COVID-19 Patients, Including Foreigners or Even Martians
- G.E.M’s Music Video About Covid-19 Fighters is So Touching, It’s Been Viewed 1 Million Times in 2 Days
- More Info About Patient 31 in South Korea Emerges & People Are Now Calling Her ‘Crazy Ajumma’
- Guide to Cleaning Your Smartphone Correctly ‘Coz Authorities Said Must Keep Phone Clean
- 5 Facts About NCID Singapore (National Centre for Infectious Diseases), The Place Many People Haven’t Heard of Before COVID-19 Outbreak
- 2 Young Doctors From Hubei Died from COVID-19; Touching Interviews with Loved Ones Show Their Courage