Man Went Home to Sleep After Punching & Stabbing Two Men


Regardless of whether you’re a party animal or not, I’m sure (almost) everyone had some plans for the recent New Years’ Eve (31 December 2022).

But for most of us, it probably didn’t involve hurting someone.

However, one man had what most of us wouldn’t consider a great New Year’s Eve: He ended up punching and stabbing two people at Jurong East two days ago on New Years’ Eve before returning home to take a nap.

He also approached another teenager before he went home and tried to hurt him, but the teenager managed to escape uninjured before calling the police.

The assailant, a 36-year-old man named Rawan (translated from Mandarin), was arrested around three hours after he attacked his victims and was charged in court today.

Here’s what happened.

Recount of Incident

The incident occurred near several Housing Development Board (HDB) blocks at Jurong East at around 4.53 pm on 31 December 2022, with the first attack occurring near Block 337 Jurong East Avenue 1.

Why the Ridout Road Colonial Houses Saga is Actually NOT a Saga:

The victim was a 44-year-old man who was punched multiple times by the attacker.

Afterwards, the 36-year-old hurt his second victim near Block 339 Jurong East Avenue 1 when he used a large pair of scissors to attack a 47-year-old man. This attack left the victim with an injury on his right shoulder.

Lastly, the man tried to approach a 15-year-old teenager. However, the teenager was able to escape and call the police. In addition to that, he apparently did not sustain any injuries.

After finishing his attacks, the man returned to his house to take a nap as if nothing had happened.


He was only woken up after police officers knocked on his door.

Thereafter, the Singapore Police Force (SPF) also confirmed that they received calls saying a man had allegedly hurt two other men near Block 372 Jurong East Avenue 1.

After the attacks, both victims were confirmed to have sustained injuries. The 44-year-old victim who was punched declined to be sent to the hospital, while the 47-year-old victim who was stabbed with the scissors was sent to the hospital while conscious.

After the police were informed, officers from the Clementi Police Division were able to find out who the attacker was and arrested him on the day of the attack after conducting ground enquiries and retrieving images from police cameras.

As of now, the motive behind the man’s attacks is still unknown. Apparently, he does not know any of his victims either.

Residents’ Responses

When reporters from Shin Min Daily News visited the area yesterday (1 January), a resident named Mr Lin (Hanyu pinyin) told reporters that he saw more than ten police cars gathered at the void deck of Block 372 when he was driving home.

He added that there were also fire engines and ambulances at the scene and that around 50 people gathered to find out what had happened.

Another resident named Ms Huang (Hanyu pinyin) said that the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) set up a safety life air pack on the ground floor of Block 372. They also entered units on the second and sixth floors to install ropes.

Apparently, SCDF personnel set up the equipment due to safety reasons.

Mother Was Unaware of What Happened When Approached by Police

On the day of the incident, the police also approached the man’s mother to ask for their house keys.


When speaking to Shin Min reporters, she explained that she was already out of the house at 3 pm that day before the incident and that her son was sitting at the doorstep when she left.

She also mentioned that her son was drinking by himself when she left the house.

After the incident, she received a call from the police asking her to return home. The police also told her that they needed her house keys to enter the house.

However, the police did not inform her about what had happened.

She said that the police officers took her son away and only told her that they would contact her again after they finished the investigations.

Apart from that, she also revealed that her son has been unemployed for the past few months and that she does not know what her son has been up to at home.


Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at or download the Goody Feed app here:

Currently Held in Remand

After being arrested, the man was charged with voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means under Section 324 of the Penal Code 1871 today (2 January).

A court order was also sought for him to be remanded at the Institute of Mental Health, where he will undergo psychiatric evaluation before returning to court on 16 January.

Investigations are ongoing.

“The police will not tolerate such brazen acts of violence and blatant disregard of the law. We will spare no effort to apprehend and deal with them in accordance with the law,” the police added.

If convicted of his offence, he may be jailed for up to seven years, fined, caned, or punished by any combination of the abovementioned methods.


Read Also:

Featured Image: Shin Min Daily News + Singapore Police Force