Last Thursday (9 March), officers from the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) caught a Bangladeshi male walking along the train tracks on the Causeway.
In the Facebook post by ICA, they shared that he was heading towards Singapore.
After he was noticed along the train tracks on the Causeway, he was stopped by ICA officers from Woodlands Checkpoint before he could pose a safety hazard to ongoing train operations.
Upon further investigation, they found out that the man had no original identity documents or travel documents with him.
He was then arrested for suspected immigration offences.
ICA added that they take actions of trying to enter or leave Singapore illegally seriously.
According to the Immigration Act 1959, penalties for such actions are fines of up to $1,000 or a prison sentence of a maximum of six months, or both.
How Did People React?
The comments under ICA’s Facebook post expressed mixed reactions towards this incident.
One commended ICA’s efforts in their intervention in the situation.
Some people sympathized with the man who had been caught, with one hoping that he was not a victim of a shady job agency.
One user added a tinge of humour to the situation, commenting that the man looked like Tom Hanks from Cast Away.
A few felt that the man should be given the help he needed, and others seemed to agree based on the positive reactions to these comments.
What do you think?
- Woman Claimed Clinic Told Her to Work Even When She Was Sick & Didn’t Pay Her After She Quit
- Body of Baby Found at Foot of Hougang HDB Block Still Has Umbilical Cord Attached
- Man Claimed That GrabUnlimited Subscribers Pay Higher Delivery Fees; Grab Has Since Responded
- Heavy Traffic Expected at S’pore-M’sia Borders From 3-11 Apr
- These Products from Shopee Taste Exactly Like McDonald’s Singapore's Items
- Addy Lee Suddenly Revealed That He Has Left Mdada Due to Poor Health