If you ask someone about their favourite food item from McDonald’s, chances are you’ll get a response that it’s McSpicy (you can actually get frozen copycat McSpicy here).
McDonald’s Curry Sauce also has a relatively loyal following, especially when paired with spicy nuggets (assuming they are not sold out, we know) or the classic fries.
Thankfully, both these items are a staple on McDonald’s menu.
And we sincerely hope that neither of them meets the same fate as the Sweet & Sour sauce.
For those who are not yet aware, we bring some bad news. McDonald’s is no longer serving the Sweet & Sour sauce “due to demand”. The Curry and Barbeque Sauces remain on the menu (thank goodness!).
You can watch this video for more information:
View this post on Instagram
What Is the Sweet & Sour Sauce?
For those who are unfamiliar with McDonald’s Sweet & Sour sauce, it’s one of the dipping sauces on McDonald’s condiments list. It has about 50 calories per serving.
McDonald’s describes the recipe as a blending of “flavours of apricot and peach with savoury spices” which also “leaves a slight lingering heat”.
For those sweet-and-salty lovers (we’re looking at those of you who dip your French fries in an ice cream sundae), this sauce might just have been your favourite sauce.
Join our Telegram channel for more entertaining and informative articles at https://t.me/goodyfeedsg or download the Goody Feed app here: https://goodyfeed.com/app/
Copycat McDonald’s Sweet & Sour Sauce Recipe: How to Make With Ingredients Bought in Singapore
Although the Sweet & Sour sauce is no longer with us, do not lose hope. You can make it yourself while hoping that the sauce makes a comeback someday.
And the best part of making food yourself is that nobody will judge you for double dipping. Or really, who cares if you eat just the sauce?
Before you groan at the thought of cooking something from scratch, rest assured we’ve got you covered with this recipe—relatively simple and fuss-free.
The ingredients you need are pretty easy to find according to this recipe from Saltyfoodie.com—apricot jam, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, corn starch, mustard, soy sauce, salt, water and minced fresh garlic.
This is the full list of ingredients you’ll need on hand to get started:
- 1 ½ cup apricot jam (purchase here)
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (purchase here)
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (purchase here)
- 3 teaspoons of corn starch (purchase here)
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of minced fresh garlic
Here are the steps.
First, place the ingredients into a suitable-sized saucepan and blend away using an immersion blender. You can also use a normal blender if you’re making a big batch of sauce.
Next, simmer the sauce for about five to eight minutes and stir it often to avoid burning.
Once the sauce begins to thicken, continue to stir for a while.
Finally, transfer the sauce into a serving bowl and allow it to cool before enjoying it with your favourite chicken nuggets.
Pro tip 1: If the sauce will be made in advance, do remember to stir the sauce before you serve it to ensure maximum taste and appearance.
Pro tip 2: For those of you subscribing to the “camera eats first” mentality, consider choosing an apricot jam with a nice golden colour and without fruit bits to get the best shade of golden sauce.
Pro tip 3: You can store the sauce in a sterilised glass bottle to get it to last for a long time since vinegar, sugar and salt are all great (natural) preservatives.
After you’re done making the sauce, flaunt your culinary skills on social media or share a quick bite with your loved ones.
P.S. No guilty conscience with eating this sauce as it doesn’t contain high fructose corn syrup, which is an artificial sugar and may lead to insulin resistance and increase your risk of obesity and weight gain. Enjoy!
- S’pore Influencer Kiaraakitty Selling Her Farts in a Jar for About $30
- S’porean Girlfriend Complained That Boyfriend’s Parents Just Gave a $10 CNY Ang Bao
- 27 Dogs, Mostly HDB-Approved, Up for Adoption But With Strict Requirements
- Everything About the China “Spy Balloon” Incident Summarised & Simplified for You
- There’s a Man in M’sia Who Looks 99.9% Like Vin Diesel
Featured Image: mcdonalds.com/us / saltyfoodie.com
- Woman Claimed Clinic Told Her to Work Even When She Was Sick & Didn’t Pay Her After She Quit
- Body of Baby Found at Foot of Hougang HDB Block Still Has Umbilical Cord Attached
- Man Claimed That GrabUnlimited Subscribers Pay Higher Delivery Fees; Grab Has Since Responded
- Heavy Traffic Expected at S’pore-M’sia Borders From 3-11 Apr
- These Products from Shopee Taste Exactly Like McDonald’s Singapore's Items
- Addy Lee Suddenly Revealed That He Has Left Mdada Due to Poor Health