While the trademark pink-IC-on-forehead photo along with an #owadio hashtag on Instagram might be a familiar rite of passage for full-time national servicemen (NSFs) when they complete their National Service, it seems like these iconic photos are becoming a tradition of the past soon.
The Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) announced today (9 May) that NSFs and Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) regulars will no longer be required to surrender their NRICs to SAF from 15 May onwards.
For those who aren’t aware, the SAF currently collects NSFs and regulars’ NRICs for safekeeping when they enlist, and returns the NRICs to them at the end of their service.
According to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), this will also apply to Home Team NSFs, and Home Team will not collect NRICs from the batch of NSFs enlisting in May onwards.
Military IC Will Still Be Issued
MINDEF also clarified that SAF will still issue the military IC to all SAF NSFs and regulars, and that it will continue to “serve as the primary document to identify themselves as SAF service personnel”.
“SAF personnel will hold both their NRICs and their military ICs going forward,” it added.
Other than the SAF and Home Team, it was also indicated that the Singapore Police Force (SPF) and the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) will still continue issuing NS ICs to their NSFs as well for the same reason.
Additionally, MINDEF also noted that all NSFs and regulars whose NRICs are being held onto by the SAF will receive them in phases.
Unit manpower officers will be responsible for returning NSFs and regulars their NRICs, and the entire process is expected to conclude in November this year.
Similarly, Home Team NSFs will also be receiving their NRICs in phases.
- Man Driving Mercs Took $18 Box of Milo from a Warehouse & Somehow Went Back to Pay Up
- SafeEntry Gantries That Cost Up to $12,000 a Piece Could be Repurposed for Other Uses
- Throwing Away TraceTogether Tokens Now Might be an Offence; Authorities Advise Public to Keep Them First
- Ex-SQ Girl & Director Quit Her Cushy Desk Job to Become a Pork Seller in a Bukit Batok Wet Market
- JB Has a Daiso-Like Store That Sells Everything for Mere SGD$0.70 & it’s Just 15-Min’s Drive from S’pore
Featured Image: Facebook (The Singapore Army)
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- In 2024, HDB Households Might Finally be Able to Keep Up to 2 Cats Per Flat
- Massive Discounts at Four Star’s Year-End Sale: Everything at 50% Off & More from 6 Dec to 10 Dec
- Everything About the Smith Street Revamp, Whereby a Tenant Will Take Over Many Shops
- DBS Said Short Outage on 1 Dec Was Due to Many People Logging in to Check Their Balance
- Man Without Licence Drove GetGo Car at 123kmh By Using His Friend’s Account
- A Doctor Claims Blow-Drying Might Have Indirectly Caused Queenzy Cheng’s Death