Woman In Tampines Condo Rudely Awakened When An Unused Powerbank In The Room Exploded

Latest Articles

Everything About the PSLE Results in 2020 Compared to 2019 When There Was No...

This year, everything was disrupted due to Covid-19. Students had to study from home, adults have to work from home...

7 COVID-19 Cases Today (25 Nov); All Are Imported Again

We’re exactly one month away from Christmas, and chances are if the number of daily cases remains the same...

M’sian Chose to Sleep on the Streets in S’pore Instead of Sharing a Room...

In November last year, the Lee Kuan Yew School Of Public Policy conducted a nationwide study to determine the...

Johor Gov Warns of COVID-19 Rise As the State Now Has 10 Active Clusters...

Can't wait for the JB-SG borders to open so you can go in for cheaper retail therapy and restaurants...

KFC S’pore Launching Shoyu Crunch Chicken Today (25 Nov) to ‘Bring’ Us to Japan

While air travel bubbles don't look like they're coming anytime soon, it's not stopping KFC Singapore from bringing us...

Phones have become more than just devices for calls or texts.

Games, videos and other apps take up lots of battery power so most of us also bring along power banks.

Image: Tech Radar

But what happens when your power bank catches fire when you haven’t even used it before?

Image: Memegen

Exploded At Home

Better place them far away from you while sleeping.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, a woman had woke up to a loud sound in her Tampines condo on 12 Sept.

Upon inspection, she realised that her unused power bank had exploded and caught fire.

Her husband said she was sleeping in the master bedroom when it happened.

He was working in the study, while his 15-year-old daughter and dog were in the living room at the time.

The explosion happened around 1am while the power bank was inside a plastic box beside their table drawer.

Controlling The Fire

The woman didn’t even panic.

She quickly got to the toilet and brought out a wet towel to grab the power bank and throw it on the floor.

Her husband also said that she went back around four to five more times to soak the towel until she put the fire out.

When that was done, the woman sealed the melted power bank in a plastic bag outside their home and went back to sleep.

Follow us on Telegram for more informative & easy-to-read articles, or download the Goody Feed app for articles you can't find on Facebook!

Image: Imgflip

What a badass.

According to the husband, neither he nor his daughter even noticed the incident until his wife informed him about it.

He also said that the only damages done were the burnt towel and a bit of their timbre floor.

Still slightly curious how you wouldn’t hear albeit a small explosion, though.

A 34YO "old-virgin" S'porean was desperately looking for a boyfriend and surprisingly, she really found one online. But the intentions of the man will make you cry. Prepare tissue paper to watch this video based on real events:

Minimise Explosions

If you own a power bank and read this, then you might be a little concerned now.

There are ways you can minimise the odds of this happening.


Advertisements  

Firstly, don’t overcharge your power bank. A lot of power banks come with in-built safety systems that turn it off on a full charge, but being safe never hurt.

Overcharging could then lead to another issue which is overheating.

Image: VR Zone

If your power bank gets really hot while charging, unplug it immediately.

You should also store the device in a cool and dry place away from heat sources, moisture and dust.


Advertisements  

And as much as possible, try not to put your power banks cramped up in your pockets or this could happen to you.

That being said, make sure to get one with features like overcharge protection, short-circuit protection, over-temperature or over-heat protection.

Check out even more safety tips over here.

Personally, also don’t put your phones or chargers anywhere near you while you sleep.

Better be safe than sorry, after all.


Advertisements  

Read Also: LG Has a New Phone That Has a Swivelling Screen That Doesn’t Really Make Sense