Talk about anime, and sometimes people don’t bat an eye.
Talk about Ghilbi though, heads start turning around. Everybody watches Ghilbi man, everybody. And it’s always consistently good.
If you’re thinking of rewatching them (or finally catching up on the childhood you missed out on), I’ve got good news for you.
21 Ghibli Films Coming Out On Netflix From 1 Feb
Netflix managed to get exclusive streaming rights for the full film catalogue from Studio Ghibli for everywhere in the world outside of North America and Japan.
Which of course, includes Singapore. They will be rolling them out monthly,
Starting from February 1st:
- Castle in the Sky (1986)
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
- Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
- Only Yesterday (1991)
- Porco Rosso (1992)
- Ocean Waves (1993)
- Tales from Earthsea (2006)
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
- Princess Mononoke (1997)
- My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
- Spirited Away (2001)
- The Cat Returns (2002)
- Arrietty (2010)
- The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)
- Pom Poko (1994)
- Whisper of the Heart (1995)
- Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
- Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008)
- From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
- The Wind Rises (2013)
- When Marnie Was There (2014)
The titles will be subtitled into 28 languages and dubbed into up to 20 languages.
Other than the fact that you can now watch Ghibli films on Netflix, this is huge because Ghibli had always resisted the digital platforms in the past.
But they’ve finally listened to fans and decided to stream it. What better streaming platform exists other than Netflix?
Vincent Maraval, CEO at Wild Bunch International, the company which is the international seller of Studio Ghibli’s works commented, “In finding the best digital partner for Studio Ghibli, our most valuable and faithful collaborators for 20 years, the Netflix team convinced us with their consistent love and energy for finding the best ways to promote the incredible and unique catalog worldwide with respect to the Studio Ghibli philosophy.”
Mark Your Calendar, Peeps
I’ll be sure to check out masterpieces like Spirited Away again.
And Whisper of the Heart.
And Princess Mononoke.
You know what, I’ll just watch them all anyway.
Except for Grave of the Fireflies. I’ll give that a 10/10 but don’t expect me to watch that shit a second time.
Those of you who already watched it know what I’m talking about.
Oh yeah, also, Grave of the Fireflies isn’t on the list because it’s already out in some regions.
Your parents are wrong: MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) is good for you (sort of). Here’s the truth:
- Study Shows S’pore Residents Are Eating More Calories, From 2,360Kcal to 2,410Kcal
- Everything About the Additional S$1.1 Billion Support Package & What You’d Receive
- Bukit Panjang Has Just Joined the Million-Dollar HDB Resale Club
- 4 Foreigners Charged for Working as Food Delivery Riders Illegally
- Everything About the Harvest Moon in Singapore on 29 Sept, The Last Supermoon in 2023