Last Updated on 2020-12-04 , 6:18 pm
Wouldn’t it be interesting to be able to foresee the future and get a sneak preview of your future husband?
Any clue would be crucial to help you make your life-long decision that might affect your future happiness. Imagine seeing Justin Bieber as your husband: I’m pretty sure that’ll keep you single forever #justsaying
Well, you can do so with an apple. And a mirror. And a knife. And a candle (yeah, a lot of things).
And you can’t just do it any time.
This is all you have to do, but the prerequisites of the myth states that you should be single and not in a relationship for this to be accurate.
- Wait till midnight on the night of Halloween (which, by the way, is on 31 October 2018)
- Prepare a mirror, an apple, a knife and a lit candle
- When midnight strikes, peel the apple in front of the mirror with one long continuous strip, making sure that it must not break or something bad would then happen to you.
- With your right hand, toss the peel over your left shoulder.
There are many versions as to what would happen after you follow this methodology.
Why the Ridout Road Colonial Houses Saga is Actually NOT a Saga:
One of the most common one being that when the apple peel hit the ground, it would be in the shape of your future husband’s initials.
So if looks like a J, it could well be Justin Bieber.
Or your classmate Jin Jin Jin.
Another version is that you would be able to see how your future husband would look like through the mirror after you have peeled the apple in front of the mirror.
Version #3 states that you should recite this charm when you peel the apple for it to work:
I pare this apple round and again
My sweetheart’s name to flourish plain
I fling the pairing o’er my head
My sweetheart’s letter on the ground be read.
Another common method instructed a girl to light two candles at midnight, then sit in front of a mirror and eat an apple.
She was then asked to brush her hair, where an image of her future husband would then appear in the mirror behind her shoulder.
Why the mirrors, you might ask. Mirrors are always considered as portals to the shadow world. In a house where someone has recently passed away, all mirrors must be covered, unless you would want the person’s soul to be trapped inside.
If you break a mirror, it can create 7 years of bad luck, unless you gather all the pieces and wash them in a river that runs south (but with the few rivers in Singapore, I rather you not break one to save the trouble).
No matter what it is, this custom of bobbing for apples was originally another form of divination called the “aipple dooking” in Scotland, where a tub is filled with water and apples are floated on the surface.
The first person to actually grab an apple with their teeth without the help of their hands would be the first person to marry and he/she can then peel the apple and toss it over their shoulder to see who the person would be.
There are still about two months to Halloween; would you want to try out this method too? Then you can start practicing to peel the apple skin in one stroke now – or be prepared to be struck with bad luck when you fail this mission two months later.
But of course, this is just for fun. If you really want to see how your future husband looks like…
Featured Image: Ironika / Shutterstock.com
- 5 Out of 7 Cubicles “Out of Order” at Female Toilet in Newly-Opened Napier MRT Station
- Yishun Elderly Sweeps Stagnant Water to Neighbour’s Front Door After Every Corridor Wash
- Grab Driver Asks Woman Not to Take Grab if She Cannot Afford to Pay ERP During Heated Argument
- S’pore Couple Allegedly Banned From Entering M’sia After Asking About Officer’s Passport Chopping
- Hundreds of Termites Found Hiding Below Raised Wood Floor in Innocent-Looking HDB Flat
- Never clean your air fryer again with this simple hack
- You can have freshly brewed bubble tea at 3am for cheap with this instant bubble tea
- Introducing the Future of Fast Food: Self-Heating Fries + Sauce from Shopee