Last Updated on 2021-11-19 , 10:17 am
If you’re a fan of durian, this might just make you go apeshit. We’re all aware that durian is yellow—the darker it is, the sweeter it tastes.
But do you know that there’s a breed of durian that is red? Yes, red as in red. A picture speaks a thousand words so here’s one.
And no, it’s not Photoshopped.
No one would be so crazy to Photoshop a durian.
So, how does this occur? Is it a durian that is not ripe yet? Apparently not. It’s just a relatively rare breed of durian with red flesh and yellow husk.
Known as Durian Sukang, they are wild durians, and seemingly only can be found in Sabah, Malaysia.
For the uninitiated, Sabah isn’t located at the north of Singapore; it’s an island away from both Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore, so you’ll have to take a plane there.
Unlike the common durian we find in Singapore and Malaysia, these durians are relatively rare to find, as they’re not cultivated on a large scale for mass market sale.
Instead, they’re sold in the suburban areas of Sabah, and are usually pretty high in demand. Despite its uniqueness and low supply, the durians are sold at a reasonable price of about RM20 for four red durians, which is about RM5 or SGD$1.60 per piece.
So, how’s the taste like? We haven’t had the chance to taste it yet, but according to what was reviewed online, the flesh is slightly less creamy and a little thinner, and it’s pretty bland as well.
However, it gives out a strong scent, almost like fermented wine. It is even rumoured that one might get “drunk” if he or she eats too many red durian.
Featured Image: Joule Sorubou / Shutterstock.com
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- Here’s What Happened in Cordlife Group, Whereby Stored Cord Blood Units in S’pore Are Damaged
- Popular Owner of Guan Kee Char Kway Teow is Retiring Due to a Health Scare
- ComfortdelGro’s New Lexus Taxis Do Not Have Taxi Signs Atop Its Roof
- Actress Julie Tan Doesn’t Hesitate & Shaves Head For a Local Movie
- Nobel Peace Prize Winner & Former US Secretary of State, Dr Henry Kissinger, Dies at 100 Years Old
- Another Coffee Chain Closing Down in Singapore: Spinelli Reportedly Closing All Outlets By This Year
- 37YO M’sian Singer-Actress Queenzy Cheng Dies After Having Breakfast Before Filming
- 8 Facts About Long Island, a Potential Reclaimed Land at East Coast