Everyone has that one friend who thinks that the entire world is staring at them.
At least they don’t usually film and post strangers on TikTok to accuse them of ogling, right?
That’s what Michelle Lim did, and she has since apologised for her actions. Here’s what happened.
Singaporean TikToker Michelle Lim uploaded a video with the caption “Exercise: 10 sets of staring at girls in the gym” and the hashtag “#gymcreeps”.
The video, uploaded on 19 January, seems to have been recorded with a phone placed behind a gym machine. It was recording a man in a white t-shirt from a distance, and the gym machine partially blocked the camera.
Text in the TikTok stated that she recorded the video to confirm her suspicion because the man “kept staring at [her] direction”.
She proceeded to give a running commentary through text. “Remember to sanitise before using machine guys” appeared on the screen after the man touched his nose.
Another line of text says “Watch how he slowly checks out the girl” while the man walked around the gym, then paused for a second to look in her direction.
From the video, it isn’t clear exactly what the man was looking at. But another TikTok video claims to have the answers…
Not A Creep… Just Watching Mr Bean
@dontanyhowrecord, a TikTok account that seemed to be created just to respond to Lim’s video, claims that the man wasn’t a creep. Instead, he was watching Mr Bean!
The video, allegedly filmed in the same gym, gives us a better view of where Lim was exercising. There is a TV placed above the machine where Lim seemed to have recorded her video. And yes, it was playing Mr Bean.
The anonymous TikToker even drew a white circle in the video to show us where Lim’s camera had probably been placed. Top-tier attempt at substantiation, isn’t it?
Deleted and Apologised For The Video
Lim posted an apology statement just one day later (20 January), which detailed what happened before she started filming the man, why she decided to upload the video, and an apology to the man.
She wrote that she felt uncomfortable while doing her walking lunges since she made eye contact with the man frequently. Feeling unsafe, she decided to film him for evidence just in case anything happened to her.
Approaching the man or the staff didn’t come to her mind, as she left the gym soon after filming the video since it was getting late.
Lim also explained that she decided to edit and upload the video to show that “everyone should feel safe at a public space that is commonly dominated by the males. And females should be free to choose their outfits based on their likes and preferences and shouldn’t be judged for it”.
However, she acknowledged that this video was no concrete evidence to show that the man was staring at her, since it was filmed at an awkward angle.
She apologised for the potential harm to the man’s reputation that her video could have caused, since the man’s face was in full view.
The apology ended off by asking the man in the video to reach out to her, so that she can apologise to him personally as well.
All things considered, that is a pretty good apology, and thankfully nobody had doxxed the man before any clarification could be made.
If you ever experience your own #gymcreep moment, do approach the staff for assistance instead of making a TikTok! Not everything can be solved by call-out videos and posts after all.
- 59YO Man Slips & Dies from an Unsecured Ladder in Yishun Industrial Park
- 10 Facts About the New Measures That Banks in S’pore Have to Follow, Like No Links in SMSes or Emails
- Shinee’s Taemin Changes His NS Role from The Military Band to Public Service Worker Due to Worsening Mental Condition
- Charles Yeo Charged Over Social Media Posts That Wounded Religious Feelings of Christians & Harassment of a Police Officer
Featured Image: TikTok (michxlim and dontanyhowrecord)
Fresh grads, you don’t need any experience to earn up to $4,200 with this “secret”:
- Here’s What Happened in Cordlife Group, Whereby Stored Cord Blood Units in S’pore Are Damaged
- Popular Owner of Guan Kee Char Kway Teow is Retiring Due to a Health Scare
- ComfortdelGro’s New Lexus Taxis Do Not Have Taxi Signs Atop Its Roof
- Actress Julie Tan Doesn’t Hesitate & Shaves Head For a Local Movie
- Nobel Peace Prize Winner & Former US Secretary of State, Dr Henry Kissinger, Dies at 100 Years Old
- Another Coffee Chain Closing Down in Singapore: Spinelli Reportedly Closing All Outlets By This Year
- 37YO M’sian Singer-Actress Queenzy Cheng Dies After Having Breakfast Before Filming
- 8 Facts About Long Island, a Potential Reclaimed Land at East Coast