Of all things in Avengers, I think we all knew what the thing we want the most.
It’s not Captain America’s shield, it’s not the Iron Man suit, it’s not the Infinity Gauntlet.
What are we gonna do with an Iron Man suit? Blow up GoodyFeed office then get arrested? Use the suit to protect myself from aliens?
And what we’re going to show you… will make you feel like you have J.A.R.V.I.S. on the MRT.
Augmented Reality (AR) MRT Map
In a Facebook video by Timothi Lim, he showed a video of him using his EZ-link card and Facebook app camera to show the entire SMRT map.
First, he took out his EZ-link card and matched the back in the Facebook camera.
And then the MRT map pops up.
You can lock the map in place and view the map.
You can resize the map if you need to
On first sight, this looked cool as shit.
Here are the instructions:
- Open this link – https://www.facebook.com/fbcameraeffects/…/2417305934959200/
- Scan the back of an adult EZ-LINK card
- SMRT map pops up
- Use your thumb to resize the map by swiping up and down.
- Tapping the map locks it in place. Pinch the map with two fingers to resize or move it around with one finger.
You can watch the video below:
How does it work?
This whole thing was created using SparkAR and SMRT map graphics.
According to the post, Timothi Lim was “inspired by other creators who had created similar experiences in other countries”.
But apparently, different EZ-link designs mean that not all can use this effect, so he went with the most common blue version. Standard Ticket, the Tourist Pass, and the NETS flashpay card will be coming in updates.
He works with The Doodle People to help create effects like this. You can find out more about them here.
Is this the future? Is JARVIS now here? I was having a mindplosion until I realised the most important thing: I still need to use my phone to open Facebook to use this.
Which means to use this effect I have to use 2 hands, instead of just using 1 by Googling the map or downloading the map to a location on my phone I can easily see, or using one of the transport apps which has an updated map.
Just a first step?
But remember, I may be skeptical af, and now this technology doesn’t do much except make you feel cool. Give it more time, and maybe it will develop to actually be cool. Maybe phones aren’t the platform for AR. Or maybe we just need a little tweaking somewhere.
Like, uh, Google Glass? Or maybe as part of some kind of AR navigation like the Google Maps AR? Either way…
Cool, I guess.
You won't want to miss these most-read articles:
- TAFEP Contacting Nas Daily After He Intended to Recruit a Foreigner Based in S’pore
- Fish Leong Reportedly Officially Divorced After 9 Years of Marriage
- Thai Man Found Dead, Allegedly Consumed White Wine & Durians Together
- Woman Suffers Deadly Brain Infection After Using Cotton Buds To Clean Her Ears
- #FastFoodFriday: KFC Boneless Chicken Steak: It’s Like Shrooms Burger Except No Buns