Whenever we hear the word “cemetery”, the first image that comes to our mind is a gloomy, melancholic scenery stretching across a field. Well, I’m here to change your perception.
This Japanese cemetery in Singapore is so chio, you won’t be able to resist it.
I’m about to blow you away with a scenery of this Japanese cemetery. Are you ready?
Here you go! Beautiful, ain’t it? Now you’re asking me if it’s really a cemetery. No kidding pal, it sure is. I’ll share some background on this cemetery to convince you further.
Situated in Hougang, this Japanese Cemetery Park is, in fact, the largest Japanese cemetery in Southeast Asia at 29,359 square metres. Didn’t expect that, eh?
Consisting of 910 tombstones, it contains the remains of members of the Japanese community in Singapore. Yeap, this includes Japanese prostitutes, civilians, soldiers and convicted war criminals back in the past.
It was also gazetted as a memorial park by the Singapore government in 1987. Given that this is one of the few official Japanese Cemeteries outside Japan, it is usually visited by Japanese school kids, as well as Japanese tourists.
The thing is, no one really visits it now, keeping the whole memorial park pretty quiet and peaceful. Which resulted in people going there for different reasons. Some people took advantage of the peacefulness to enjoy getting away from the bustling city.
Others found this place a good studying spot for them. If it gets to it, perhaps you could always pray for good luck before studying. Does it help? I don’t know. Give it a try and let me know, yeah?
This article was first published on Goodyfeed.com
- 7 Breathtaking Japanese Home-Designs in SG That Makes You Feel Like You’re in Japan
- 10 Places You Have To Visit In Osaka If Not You Might As Well Visit Japanese Garden
Do you love writing? Do you want a platform to showcase your works? Goody Feed is looking for part-time writers to join the team! Click here to find out more!
Latest posts by Vanessa Ong (see all)
- Unicorn Frap? Who Cares When S’pore Starbucks Baristas Came Up With The Merlion Frap? - April 24, 2017
- Girl Who Was Called Ugly Marries Handsum Korean Guy, More Exciting Than Cinderella Story - April 22, 2017
- Don’t Say Bojio: $5 OFF Your ComfortDelgro Rides When You Take Taxi to Orchard (Till 21May) - April 22, 2017